Need help setting up/adjusting Perfect Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Dario562
My Press Choice: Progressive

Need help setting up/adjusting Perfect Powder Measure

Post by Dario562 »

Hey guys, I'm new here. I didn't see this topic already, so I'm asking for help. I set it up according to the directions from Lee, but my charges vary, sometimes by 1 or 2 grns, but sometimes as much as 5grns! Can anybody help please?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Need help setting up/adjusting Perfect Powder Measure

Post by 62chevy »

Dario562 wrote:Hey guys, I'm new here. I didn't see this topic already, so I'm asking for help. I set it up according to the directions from Lee, but my charges vary, sometimes by 1 or 2 grns, but sometimes as much as 5grns! Can anybody help please?

Wow that's a big spread. But can't answer your questions because you didn't say what powder you are using.
Je suis Charlie
Dario562

Post by Dario562 »

Hogdon H4895
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, I've used mine for 20 years and it is very accurate, it is often used with Hodgdon H4895. I set it up on my bench when I first bought it and set it up according to the instructions to include the metering rod zero and rotor tension adjustment detailed in the instructions. I've used it with a wide range of rifle powders and some handgun/shotgun powders.

To help the forum identify and resolve the issue, what is the specific problem you are having?

There tends to be three common issues. The most common is the cc setting not matching a specific weight of charge. In other words and as an example, say you want to drop a 30.0-grain charge. The "standard" VMD of H4895 is .0761, so 2.28 cc would be set on the metering rod. If your drop is off in this circumstance, it is because the specific VMD of your lot of powder is not the standard .0761. The PPM instructions detail how to determine your specific lot's VMD. In this example, the VMD of my lot of H4895 is .0728. Given the 2.28 setting on the metering rod, I would see a 31.3-grain charge.

My experience is that I have never seen a powder at the standard VMD. There is too much variation in manufacture allowed by SAAMI. Based on this experience, I never assume the VMD to be standard and immediately determine the VMD of any powder purchased. I write the VMD on the jug with a Sharpie.

The second most common issue with the PPM is not allowing the metering chamber to have time to fill at the the bottom of the drums stroke. This is particularly an issue with large rifle charges. If it is quite in your reloading room, you can hear the powder falling into the chamber. This is easy to cure, pause at the top of the stroke.

I have seen new reloaders, that are working at my bench, that want to brace the hopper with their support had while there "reloading" hand moves the lever through it's range of motion because the feel and see the of the measuring unit where it's base meets the steel stand. I think this simple flex is important for packing the metering chamber consistently with each delivery. This is a lesson I've learned from the other Lee powder dispensers, the Auto Disk and Auto Disk Pro used on the Turret and Load Master presses. Without the movement of the turret or the shake of the shell plate indexing, the devices deliver inconsistent charges.

The third common issue inconsistent charges caused by ball type powders leaking past the rotor and body. This can be solve with a bit of fitting and the proper tension delivered to the rotor during the setup.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I will only add one thing to the above. Be consistent in whatever you are doing. Consistency with a powder measure makes for a consistent powder drop. If you thump your finger against it, tap the reservoir, thunk the knob at the bottom of the rotation, or anything else then do it EVERY SINGLE TIME you operate the measure. Any time you break your stride them I would dump back the powder and run powder through it a time or two more before getting back again.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I love my PPMs. I'd like to suggest you take yours apart and wash with dish detergent and dry. While it's apart inspect the conical mating surfaces. If you see dimples you can uses some valve grinding compound between the surfaces and smooth them out before reassembling, after cleaning. Then run a couple of hoppers of powder through it while adjusting the tention. You'll find the PPM is perfect for H 4895.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Dario562

Post by Dario562 »

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. Sorry it took me awhile to reply. So I did take it all apart, set it up again per Lee instructions, ran some powder through it to coat all the surfaces. It is a lot more consistent now. What I did notice that may have affected the consistency of the charge was that a lot of parts on my Loadmaster became loose after awhile, so instead of just hand tightening it like Lee says, I used a wrench or some channel locks. I'm aiming for 42.0 grns per charge, I'm getting anywhere from 40.3 grns to 42.7 grns which is a lot better than before, but those lows and highs are rare, maybe 1 in every 20 charges I will get a high variance like that. I'm usually getting +/- 0.3 grns from my target charge. I also noticed that almost everyone on YouTube who has a video showing that their PPM is very accurate has it bench mounted. Mine is mounted to my Loadmaster. Does anyone else have it mounted to their Loadmaster?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

A solid bench is key to most things in reloading. The more your bench flexes, bows, and wobbles then the more problems you will see. I had started with a slapped together 2x4 and plywood bench and had nothing but trouble. But as soon as I added a bit of weight, braced the sides, and reinforced the top I noticed everything worked better. The Loadmaster is no different in that it requires a rock solid bench to operate at its best and I would think the PPM being mounted to it would require the same.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dario562 wrote:I'm aiming for 42.0 grns per charge…
Have you determined a VMD specific to the lot of powder you are using?
Dario562 wrote:Mine is mounted to my Loadmaster.
Are you using the Lee Universal Charging Die to make the drop?
Dario562 wrote:…I'm getting anywhere from 40.3 grns to 42.7 grns which is a lot better than before…
This kind of depends on your answer to the first two questions but it seems that they whatever is manipulating the drum stroke is being interrupted or not allowing a complete stroke so that the metering chamber a
Michael
Dario562

Post by Dario562 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:A solid bench is key to most things in reloading...
It's mounted on what seems to be a very sturdy bench in my garage. It's an old, wooden, well made one that's been up probably since the house was built back in the late 40's when things were built to last. The press does not move, wobble, or flex when I use it.
Ranch Dog wrote:
Dario562 wrote:I'm aiming for 42.0 grns per charge…
Have you determined a VMD specific to the lot of powder you are using?
Dario562 wrote:Mine is mounted to my Loadmaster.
Are you using the Lee Universal Charging Die to make the drop?
Dario562 wrote:…I'm getting anywhere from 40.3 grns to 42.7 grns which is a lot better than before…
This kind of depends on your answer to the first two questions but it seems that they whatever is manipulating the drum stroke is being interrupted or not allowing a complete stroke so that the metering chamber a
1. I was using the VMD that was referenced with my powder by LEE, but I stopped using the metering rod since I was just turning it without paying attention to the numbers.

2. I'm using the charging die that came with the LoadMaster, I think it was the powder through charging die, it has different adapters, since I am reloading .308, I'm using the one they told me to.

3. Your answer got cut off

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”