Need help setting up/adjusting Perfect Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Need help setting up/adjusting Perfect Powder Measure

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dario562 wrote:I'm aiming for 42.0 grns per charge…
Ranch Dog wrote: Have you determined a VMD specific to the lot of powder you are using?
Dario562 wrote: 1. I was using the VMD that was referenced with my powder by LEE, but I stopped using the metering rod since I was just turning it without paying attention to the numbers.
This is very much like the computer thing, it is only as good as it what goes into it. Start taking a few minutes of reading on how to use the metering rod from the settings. This is really a very accurate delivery tool but the odds of successfully setting it up are slim if you just "twist" the metering rod.
Here is what I would do to start after you understand the scale on the metering rod.

Establish a "zero" position of the thimble. The thimble acts as a friction lock for the setting established on your metering rod. Tighten the thimble reasonably tight and mark the metering chamber with a Sharpie where the zero is. Personally, I don't tighten this all the way down. If fact, I adjust the thimble were it is secured down but I can still move the metering rod with my fingers. It is important that the "zero" is always in the same position against the metering chamber or your reading of the metering rod settings will always be off the amount the thimble has been moved.

Now that "zero" is set. Turn the metering rod until 3.04 cc is set. The "3" index (line) will be visible and roll past the "zero" stopping at the "4" on the "zero" on the index. I chose 3.04 cc as this is 42.0-grains of H4895 using the standard VMD of .0724 for H4895. I'm going to have you come back and determine the actual VMD of your powder once the Universal Charging Die is working properly.
Dario562 wrote:Mine is mounted to my Loadmaster.
Ranch Dog wrote:Are you using the Lee Universal Charging Die to make the drop?
Dario562 wrote:2. I'm using the charging die that came with the LoadMaster, I think it was the powder through charging die, it has different adapters, since I am reloading .308, I'm using the one they told me to.
I'm sure the Master Case Mouth Adapter is being used but I still would verify it if you have not looked.

Now, the hard part. I would bet money that the problem is not the Perfect Powder Measure but the setup of the Universal Charging Die which is not allowing the PPM to uniformly charge each time. Look at the brass adapter and make sure it is not catching on the lip of the charging die. This is best done by feel and a close look. If it is not smooth, make it so by working any contact smooth.

With the die working freely, now look at the connecting rod travel. With the short charges, I suspect the entire die assembly is too long and needs to be backed out a little to shorten the travel. It is hard for me to suggest an actual fix here as this is a hands on examination to make sure the metering chamber is at the stop of travel so that it has to opportunity to be filled with powder.

I think I have made this long enough. I will come back to the determining a specific VMD once consistent drops are being recorded. As you check the movement of the powder drop assembly and the charges it drops make sure you are moving the press through a complete ram cycle. The setup on the Load Master is a PIA but once it is done, it is done.
Michael
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Establish a "zero" position of the thimble. The thimble acts as a friction lock for the setting established on your metering rod. Tighten the thimble reasonably tight and mark the metering chamber with a Sharpie where the zero is. Personally, I don't tighten this all the way down. If fact, I adjust the thimble were it is secured down but I can still move the metering rod with my fingers. It is important that the "zero" is always in the same position against the metering chamber or your reading of the metering rod settings will always be off the amount the thimble has been moved.

Now that "zero" is set. Turn the metering rod until 3.04 cc is set. The "3" index (line) will be visible and roll past the "zero" stopping at the "4" on the "zero" on the index. I chose 3.04 cc as this is 42.0-grains of H4895 using the standard VMD of .0724 for H4895. I'm going to have you come back and determine the actual VMD of your powder once the Universal Charging Die is working properly.
Dario562 wrote:Mine is mounted to my Loadmaster.
Ranch Dog wrote:Are you using the Lee Universal Charging Die to make the drop?
Dario562 wrote:2. I'm using the charging die that came with the LoadMaster, I think it was the powder through charging die, it has different adapters, since I am reloading .308, I'm using the one they told me to.
I'm sure the Master Case Mouth Adapter is being used but I still would verify it if you have not looked.

Now, the hard part. I would bet money that the problem is not the Perfect Powder Measure but the setup of the Universal Charging Die which is not allowing the PPM to uniformly charge each time. Look at the brass adapter and make sure it is not catching on the lip of the charging die. This is best done by feel and a close look. If it is not smooth, make it so by working any contact smooth.

With the die working freely, now look at the connecting rod travel. With the short charges, I suspect the entire die assembly is too long and needs to be backed out a little to shorten the travel. It is hard for me to suggest an actual fix here as this is a hands on examination to make sure the metering chamber is at the stop of travel so that it has to opportunity to be filled with powder.

I think I have made this long enough. I will come back to the determining a specific VMD once consistent drops are being recorded. As you check the movement of the powder drop assembly and the charges it drops make sure you are moving the press through a complete ram cycle. The setup on the Load Master is a PIA but once it is done, it is done.
like I got sucked up in this post. I was reading through to learn how to determine the correct VMD of a powder allotment . I see he didn't come back. DAAAAAAA. I wonder if he knows screwing up with powder measurements could get some on killed or hurt. My question would be. If I did not know the correct VMD of the powder, and no load data to go by, how would I figure it out? lets use Hodgdon Tite-Group for example. My chart say's VMD is .0847 off my lee PP auto disk sheet . But when I check it on lee's web site, it came up .08475. I also know with my set up I shouldn't half to know this, but I'm a tech-head or a pain in the butt as my better half puts it. Thanks for the input and education.
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Patriot007 wrote:like I got sucked up in this post. I was reading through to learn how to determine the correct VMD of a powder allotment . I see he didn't come back. DAAAAAAA…
It is always a bummer when you take the time to help some one solve an issue and there is no followup.
Michael
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

No doubt, there. I found the MS Excel file on VMD after I left this reply I have not played with it yet. If I can't figure it out, I'll get back to you. Thank You.

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”