Lee Classic Powder Measure

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by daboone »

Looks like Lee is redoing the PPM with the Classic Powder Measure . http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

FS Reloading has a write up on it and is listing it for $75.00. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-c ... 90868.html

I think the PPM is a Perfect Powder Measure for stick powders. So this new and improved PPM is going to on my priority wish list. :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee Classic Powder Measure

Post by 62chevy »

That is pricey with a 99 dollar MSR and 35 for the stand.
Je suis Charlie
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Think I'll wait on A few reviews first. With that price,
there should be "No" issues with it, compared with
the tried & true PPM. But, I will be watching for the reviews..
I still need that bullet puller :):):)
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I appreciate the report and I'm glad that Lee is always working on something new. That said, I have several of the PPMs on different presses and will continue to use them until a replacement is needed.

FYI, I've updated the link in in "The Support" for the Lee 2015 catalog for those that would like to download it.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Titan Reloading has it in stock now. I just ordered one. :D I didn't get the mount as I have a DIY mounting bar on the bench.

I will write up some opinions on its performance with these powders; H4895, H414, 2400, Red Dot, Unique, Bulleye and H110.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
motard

Post by motard »

I'll like to read about hecause I am intetested in buyng one as soon as it will appears on this side of the see. Can ypo also write the kind of power? Ie ball, sticks etc
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Well this weekend ended up being a grandson weekend rather than playing with my new toy. As an aside 3 grandson proved they could seriously out maneuver me, out shoot me, ware my old rear end flat out in laser tag. ;) :lol:

On a more serious side the first 10 drops of Bullseye set at 4.1g were all separated by a mere .01g. Before starting this test I took this new Lee Classic PM totally apart and thoroughly washed, dried and pre-lubed it with graphite. Then I ran a full hopper full of Bullesye thru it before testing. Now admittedly Bullseye is an excellent metering powder. But it made me very happy to see this kind of performance. FYI there was no tapping or snapping the measure or handle just a full and complete stroke from top to bottom. Well I did give it a couple of seconds on the fill side. It just feels good to operate. More to come!

motard

Post by motard »

Beeing a Lee fan I must admit that I am way tempted from this item. The only concern that I have is if it is not the PPM (wich works flawlessy to me) with a smart cast metal dress instead of cheap plastics. I write this because I cannnot have it in hands and probably will not for the long time it will take to be ons hopps here in Europe (probably with prices doubled). And also because of the (appartently from pics I have seen) plastic built of the core: the interchangeables drums. I have not seen prices announcements but if they will cost in proportion may be worth buyng some spare PPM (1/3 of the price of the CC) and swap them each time changing calibers.Your's first hands impresions will dicide the end of the story :)
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Lee Classic Powder Measure Evaluation

Before starting this evaluation of the Lee Classic Powder Measure (CPM) I took this new PM totally apart and thoroughly washed, dried (including the hopper) and pre-lubed it with graphite. The Hopper was rubbed down with a dryer sheet. Then a full hopper full of Bullseye thru it before evaluating.

First up was Bullseye. Now admittedly Bullseye is an excellent metering powder. There was no tapping or snapping the measure or handle just a full and complete stroke from top to bottom giving it a couple of seconds on the fill side for each powder tested. The first 10 drops of Bullseye set at 4.1g were all separated by a mere .01g. I did no further testing of Bullseye.

The following results are grouped by the specific powder for 10 individual weights and then by a 10 consecutive dispensing to check the average dispensing weight.

Unique Data:
Measure adjusted for 3.5g of Unique with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 3.5g
2- 3.6g
3- 3.6g
4- 3.6g
5- 3.6g
6- 3.5g
7- 3.6g
8- 3.6g
9- 3.6g
10-3.5g

Then 10 drops of 3.5g of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 36.8g or 3.68g average.

Measure set for 10g of Unique. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 10g
2- 10.1g
3- 10g
4- 10.1g
5- 10.1g
6- 10.1g
7- 10.1g
8- 10g
9- 10g
10- 10g

Then 10 drops of the 10g of Unique were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 100.5g or 10.05 average.

2400 Data:
Measure adjusted for 6.1g of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 6.1g
2- 6.1g
3- 6.2g
4- 6.1g
5- 6.1g
6- 6.2g
7- 6.1g
8- 6.1g
9- 6.1g
10-6.2g

Then 10 drops of the 6.1g of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 62.2g for a 6.22g average.

Measure adjusted for 13g of 2400 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 13g
2- 12.9g
3- 12.9g
4- 12.9g
5- 12.8g
6- 12.8g
7- 12.8g
8- 12.9g
9- 12.9g
10- 12.8g

Then 10 drops of the 13g of 2400 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 129.6g for a 12.96g average.

H4895 Data:
Measure adjusted for 44.8g of H4895 with approximately 2 second fill time. Individual weights as listed for each dispensing.
1- 44.8g
2- 44.8g
3- 44.9g
4- 44.9g
5- 45.0g
6- 44.8g
7- 45.1g
8- 45.2g
9- 45.1g
10- 44.9g

Then 10 drops of the 44.8g of H4895 were performed with approximately 2 second fill times and measure in bulk for a total of 451.3g or a 45.13g average.

mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Those results are as good as any measure I've seen/read about! Three tenths of a grain with 4895? One tenth with Unique and 2400? Now that's pretty darn good...

What did you measure the charges on?

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”