PPM vs Forster-Bonanza. Winner is: have to do the math

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

PPM vs Forster-Bonanza. Winner is: have to do the math

Post by motard »

Just put these two under stress to find wich one is better for rifle charging. Powder is N16o Vihtavuori (stick shape). Here are ten charges, mesured on the Pacific-Hornady traditionbal scale (so sorry for light approximation but I don't have a reliable eletronic device). Both hoppers where 3/4 filled, both PD cycled ten times before start scaling.
Forster-Bonanza:
summed and devided by ten give: 44,22

Lee PPM
Summed and divided per 10: 44,03
So hands off the 30 Usd PM is a winner over the five time more costly well named PM. But to be honest I should repeat with a different powdes. While Lee PPM manages very whell the estruded powder the F.B. handel stops until force neaught is applied to cut the powder seeds. Its is a nasty process, but happens only with some tipe of powder. Both no dripping
Hope it helpes
motard

Re: PPM vs Forster-Bonanza. Winner is: have to do the math

Post by motard »

Ps. To be considered also maximum an minimum variance. Just because the risky factor. Si the real answer, to me, is: trickle always trikle
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

motard wrote:Ps. To be considered also maximum an minimum variance. Just because the risky factor. Si the real answer, to me, is: trickle always trikle
Agreed… here is what the standard deviation and extreme spreads look like.
ForesterBonanza_vs_PPM.jpg
I love doing stuff like this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

You two and many other posters are masters at this (Game?) pursuit of a better load and way to do it. Some would view the above as trivial pursuit but I for one gained some knowledge and insight hopefully to use with wise discretion. Thank you
motard

Post by motard »

Great deduction, you just explained something I was still wondering about. Risky factor :mrgreen:
closey

Post by closey »

Motard, did you compare the charges that were cut in the FB against charges that weren't cut?
If I get a crunch when throwing a charge I tend to drop it back in the hopper. I never bothered doing a weight check too see if there was much difference though.

Closey
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

closey wrote:Motard, did you compare the charges that were cut in the FB against charges that weren't cut?
If I get a crunch when throwing a charge I tend to drop it back in the hopper. I never bothered doing a weight check too see if there was much difference though.
I do the same thing. If it doesn't feel right, it goes back into the mix.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

There are 2 important things to know about any and every powder measure out there.

1. the operator and his operational technique consistency. A subset of this is as Closey and RD said. If you feel the measure cut or any other "disturbance in the field" (to quote Star Wars) then recycle that powder drop back into the hopper.

2. Every measure has some types of powders it dispenses accurately and some that it sucks at. (That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.) :P :D

Certainly the Lee PPM is one of the best. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Classic Powder Measure. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-c ... 90868.html I'm not sure why it will have a quick change drums option. Will this be an attempt to make it like the RCBS Little Dandy?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
motard

Post by motard »

Nope, if so I would pass my time droppingbback 9 charges over ten. Wit h Vv the FB measure seems a chopping machine

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”