powder scale

This is the only scale that can never get out of adjustment. Sensitive and readable to 1/20 grain.
beekeeper

powder scale

Post by beekeeper »

OK I am grasping at straws here.
I have been using a Redding No 2 powder scale since the 1950's.
Like me it is getting old!
Only have 1 check weight and it is 200 grain.
Scale still reads within 1/10 grain using the check weight.
But after 50 plus years do I need to go to something newer or can I simply have the Redding refurbished
If refurbished by who?
I like my old gear and would like to keep it operational if possible.
Kinda fits my image so to speak.

beekeeper
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: powder scale

Post by mikld »

I have a few old beam scales. One, a Redding oil dampened scale, is just as accurate as any I've used in 30 years of reloading. I don't use it as much now because my Lyman/Ohaus is much less messy to set up, but that's the only reason. I personally believe that "accuracy" for reloading scales is overthought. If my scale consistently reads 10.0 gr. of Unique, what difference does it really make if when checked by high $$$$ lab quality, certified scale is only 9.9 gr.? Or even 10.1 gr.? I rarely load to max. or dangerous loads so I'm safe with all my "accurate" scales. I know there's a bunch of fellers (I'm one) that just wanna know, but in real life .1 or even .2 grains off doesn't make a whole lot of difference if the scale is consistent.

I think if I were to have my Redding scale refurbished I'd contact Redding first. Jes 'cause we're old don't make us any less accurate... :mrgreen:
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I a whole pile of old stuff . I had an Ohaus M5 that was just misbehaving, the check weight scaled right to its stated weight . (Like 263.3 grains ) What it really needed was to be blown out . We have this insidious granite clay dust that seems able to creep past a cork . :P It does get into everything that is exposed for any length of time. Anyway it was back on track 100% after a good deep cleaning without disassembly.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Might just call Redding and see what they would do.

Return to “Safety Powder Scale”