Ground new loading area?

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Ground new loading area?

Post by number1wrench »

I don't know if this is correct spot to post this, here goes. Building storage workshop detached building, skid framed on concrete block on concrete slab, 4 season wired 220V sits under by 20feet a high voltage line going to quarry down road, doesn't bother cell phone. OK I know the simple answer is "can't hurt". Does it seem necessary that I should put some sort of redundant ground system in workshop, I will be reloading and some other normal workshop activities. I have never given the grounding much thought until adding up all externals. Knowing at it's least static electricity is a PITA.
beekeeper

Re: Ground new loading area?

Post by beekeeper »

It should not be necessary to ground the shop but it can;t hurt.
Do you intend to put power to the building?
If so I would ground your service box back to the original supply as well as a ground rod for the building just to be safe. More for your own power supply safety than for the overhead power line.

beekeeper
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

beekeeper wrote:It should not be necessary to ground the shop but it can;t hurt.
Do you intend to put power to the building?
If so I would ground your service box back to the original supply as well as a ground rod for the building just to be safe. More for your own power supply safety than for the overhead power line.
beekeeper
Thanks for reply, building will have 220V wiring and grounded back to supply source. My first thoughts were ground rod with a circumferential wire attached to building base. I believe I will start with that for peace of mind. If I experience any excess static electric interference I will probably try grounding bench before getting so exclusive to ground dedicated containers. One bench (largest) will be metal framed, second bench will be all wood. Building and floor are all wooden construction.
Dalerj
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Dalerj »

Do you have metal siding or roof? If you do you should ground them.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Dalerj wrote:Do you have metal siding or roof? If you do you should ground them.
No metal either roof or shed frame and siding. Do have High voltage line that feeds local quarry overhead that generates about 6volt ghost voltage(impedence voltage). I'm doing simple ground through existing shed wiring. No problems seeming voltage related at his point. Only started using for work this month.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

number1wrench wrote:
Dalerj wrote:Do you have metal siding or roof? If you do you should ground them.
No metal either roof or shed frame and siding. Do have High voltage line that feeds local quarry overhead that generates about 6volt ghost voltage(impedence voltage). I'm doing simple ground through existing shed wiring. No problems seeming voltage related at his point. Only started using for work this month.
To bad you cant use that voltage and put it to work running stuff.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

62chevy wrote:
number1wrench wrote:
To bad you cant use that voltage and put it to work running stuff.

Interesting suggestion!
Sounds like something Tesla could have done in just a few minutes, and probably powered a whole house.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

mr surveyor wrote:

Interesting suggestion!
Sounds like something Tesla could have done in just a few minutes, and probably powered a whole house.

jd

That's the guy I was thinking of.
Je suis Charlie
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

This is just me speaking and I should quality I was an Electronics Tech for 26 years of my career. Any time and I mean any time I have a situation where I have one of three conditions, I ground:

1. Enough impedance to cause potential interference of anything transistor based I want to use. Like, say DC case/bullet feed motor controllers, casting pot PID controllers, etc.
2. Enough source current to kill me. Like, say, a big overhead power line that could drop on the building. I don't want to be it'sfirst source to ground.
3. A high enough frequency to cause interference and/or heart fibrillation.

In your situation, with that big power line running overhead, I'd put a big ole ground, possibly two. And I'd always be concerned/aware of the way that big power line could potentially fall in a storm.

I'd also clean up thorougly after each reloading session and store my powders away, especially if a storm was evident. I wouldn't load during a rainstorm or with significant wind of any sort.

Having seen first hand and close up what a truly high current supply line can do to a man (15 feet away), I don't want any part of that. I do suggest calling the local power company and consult with their service department about your situation there, see what they think.
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Thank you for the information DaveInGa. Your advice is the information I am concerned of. Visiting family in S.D. right now, when I get back I will contact Power co. I have just a relatively light ground at this point, no problems have shown themselves with electronics, scale, cell phone etc. Your comment on potential wire dropping on shed in an accident is a point I had never given much concern, you are absolutely correct, I need to at least increase the load capacity of my ground system. I will update with what I find from Power co.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”