Day off from ranch work.

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Day off from ranch work.

Post by Ranch Dog »

After three months of hardly stepping into my reloading room, I took a day off from the ranch to walk through the door and start reorganizing it. I have a conditioned storage room in another building out here so most of my stockpile of bullets, brass, hulls, and primers will move over there to make the space usable. The morning was a wash out as I started to tinker with things but I'm going out there on a mission now to get things back to where they were.

At the first of the summer I had a problem with water flowing into the floor from tropical storm type of rains, 13"/hour, and had to move and stack things off the floor onto portable tables. The problem was the volume of water coming off of two roof lines and being trapped between the respective buildings. I cured that by creating a concrete walkway between the two that is actually a rain culvert to get the water that is coming off the massive roofs beyond and away from the buildings as fast as possible. We had some tropical rain yesterday and it performed like expected so I'm satisfied I can resume life in the room without any worry for the next major tropical deluge.
drainage_01.jpg
The reloading room is at the furthest windows on the building on the right, that is right where the water that was backing up had nowhere to go. It was flowing up and under the aluminum siding and into my room.

Getting this taken care of all the way to the front porch of the mobile home was huge undertaking. There is a lot of underground electrical and water lines between the two buildings that had to be considered as well. The AC unit was put on a pier as had quite a bit of standing water across it as well.

This is one of things that I had going this summer, I guess it counts somewhat to reloading.
drainage_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Day off from ranch work.

Post by Patriot007 »

I know about the rain, down here in south Ga. it's rain every day for the past month an a half. I just mowed my two acres for the first time in a month. And that was a big job for my little mower. The side walk looks great, as long as it keeps the water moving away from your building, I know you will be happy. :D :D
buddha1percent
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by buddha1percent »

I moved all my reloading bench in to a extra bed room just to be in the AC and to keep the cobwebs out of everything.
In a couple weeks there would be cobwebs in my boxes and on all my reloading stuff
I have sprayed and sprayed my shed but they are there.
Comes from living in the country.
Good luck on your water management I have had similar problems
I went and took cell phone pictures while it was flooding to show where the low spots where and put rock down accordingly.
It worked ...displaced the standing water and it moves off now.
Concrete works wonderfully too.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Doubt that I've regaled you with my tails of my folks place in AR . Short version is that there is a slate/shale type line that runs across 1 corner of the house and too close to the sunken living room. So every rain storm they were wet vacuuming the end if that room 5 -30 gallons worth . I pestered him during my visits enough that he cut a runoff line across the drive way on the high side and gravel filled it . When we did it ,luck really played for us, we cut the line off and ran all of that water as well as the drive way water off the other side of the drive way . He found another runoff that drained to the center instead of out and fixed that ,now it stays dry most of the time.

It looks good. I'm glad you got a little break from the easy life . :lol:
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”