my reloading area

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
btoran
My Press Choice: Turret

my reloading area

Post by btoran »

i'm new to reloading and used some space in my garage for my reloading "bench". before i could use the garage for anything, i had to first build a 10x16 ft shed to empty the garage of "stuff". that was a project in itself. once the garage was emptied, i finished the walls and ceiling, put down a floor (snap together car garage flooring), built the workbenches, and mounted / hung the tools (lots of tools).

i originally designed the space for 3 purposes... as a place to store and work on my car, a general workshop, and as a place for smokers (since there's no smoking in the house). the garage has a lounge area with outdoor furniture and an electric fireplace (which throws heat and is built into the workbench), and a wall mounted heater. there is a sliding mosquito curtain that hangs outside the garage so the garage door can be opened in summer (and at night) without being attacked by mosquitos and other flying buggies. basically, i built my man cave / playroom.

i had a lot to fit into the space so i thought it out pretty carefully. it's a bit too well organized for most people's taste but it suits me. examples of organizational excess include storing hand power tools directly underneath their bench counterparts (such as hand power drills under the drill press, hand power saws under the chop saw, etc.), and the setup for storing wrenches with matching sized ratchets/sockets on-top (pretty cool if you ask me, slightly demented if you ask others), and fishing rods that fit neatly underneath old-time sleds. but i digress.

in addition to all of the above, my man cave now serves as my reloading space, where i mounted my press and created some extra shelving underneath for reloading supplies. stuff that goes bang (like powder and primers) are stored in my gun safe when i'm not reloading as i've got kids in the house.

my press is a work in progress and looks a bit pathetic in these pictures. so far i've customized the handle and added a light, which is a flashlight with an extendable, flexible neck and a magnet on the bottom for keeping it anchored to the press. i would prefer to have a light that plugs in, but i had it laying around and it fits the press perfectly. the press also sports a case ejector. arriving some time next week will be a reverse indexing rod and a hornady bullet feed die. once those are set up, i'll be good to go.

since i know it didn't happen without pictures, here they are....

the shed i build to empty the garage of "stuff".

press mounted to workbench in garage.

my work-in-progress press and loading shelf. i have additional cabinet space cleared out for the growing obsession.

the rest of the garage.

fishing rods, sleds, and car stuff.

stop by for a beer if you're in the neighborhood.
Last edited by btoran on 31 Jan 2016 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: my relaoding area

Post by Steve »

Looks pretty good but you will need more clutter to be an accomplished hand loader.
r1200r

Post by r1200r »

Very nice setup.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice setup indeed! I like the idea of the sitting area but I have a hard enough time getting the "bums" to leave as it is!

Well done!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Very nice but as Steve said it just to dang neat and organized. Because my shop isn't that neat I'd be embarrassed to allow anyone to hangout in there. :oops: I don't offer beer at my place just whisky. Why? At my age if I drink one beer an equivalent of 6 come out! :o
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice job Bruce.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
btoran

Post by btoran »

daboone wrote: I don't offer beer at my place just whisky. Why? At my age if I drink one beer an equivalent of 6 come out! :o
now THAT's funny! and there's nothing wrong with whisky at almost any age.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Nice plenty of room
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor

Re: my reloading area

Post by Fyodor »

Nice and tidy. I like the lounge feeling of that realoading area.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”