Gas' Set Up

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Gas' Set Up

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm missing a post but that box is a PohS. Got both parts plus a rolling stool at Walmart for < $50.

I have a real tool box at work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I know what a flex plate is, I know what a half shaft is and I know what cat is but I don't know what a PohS is. :(
Je suis Charlie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Piece oh sheet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Hey, Gas, did you use the same PID controllers for both applications or did you need a different until for the lube heater?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

They are different. The (cheaper) one for the lube heater has a small relay built in that can handle the wattage (100 watts?) of the lube heater element. The lead PID uses a large external relay and heat sink for the 700 watt Lee element.

I have a build thread on both at Rossi Riflemen I can cut and paste when I get time.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I took the old unused since being put there Windows Vista PC off the casting bench and took it to a rural area where I shot it up with my own cast .45C loads from the Evil Roy and a sold off to a friend .223W AR build today. For the first time in two years I not only sorted and brought home wheel weights but I actually smelted them. Boy I hate doing that! I kept the SOWW away from the COWW.

I put the PIDs in a box under the bench. I rarely use the RCBS sizer/luber and the PID for the Lee pot makes casting harder for me. Your results may vary.

I have more coffee cans than ever. Most of them are full. I took the loaded OEM out of the filing cabinet for a better home then refilled the filing cabinet with other stuff. I have more stuff than anyone who rarely shoots should have but I'm keeping most of it for a rainy day 17 years from now.

I have more space.

Barely.

The space will be filled on its own soon I bet. I need a big tool box like my one at work.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Deleted User 1418 wrote:It's not an official reloading bench without re-purposed coffee containers. Well done.

:lol: +guns

Oops is this this guy's handle or was he actually deleted from our forum?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
Deleted User 1418 wrote:It's not an official reloading bench without re-purposed coffee containers. Well done.
Oops is this this guy's handle or was he actually deleted from our forum?
When a user decides to delete their account through their user control panel, their posts are retained and their user account assigned a four-digit number.
GasGuzzler wrote:I put the PIDs in a box under the bench. I rarely use the RCBS sizer/luber and the PID for the Lee pot makes casting harder for me. Your results may vary.
I hear you about the PIDs. Went through that 15 years ago and I just don't think it necessary. I do have a very simple PID on my Lyman 4500 that I bought from Harbor Freight. I use it simply to keep the 4500 at "idle" between lubing runs.

Don't worry about that space, it will be so full in 17 years that your retirement will be spent wondering how you are going to get rid of it!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Exactly. My LAM2 PID is very simple and puts the lube well at 105 degrees. Its temperature isn't critical. I machined an aluminum plate to hold a heating element and a temperature probe between the LAM base and the bench. The other PID I built out of a sever's internal power supply and it's very complex with a high amperage relay, heat sink, and internal fan. It does OK if you don't mind the 30 minute wait to start (it sneaks up on the temp setting) AND you don't mind it lagging behind again when you add new lead to the pot.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The LAM II PID is non-functional. It had a loose connection I don't remember where to put back. I have it in my truck in case I get slow at work (not likely).

I have a giant Titan order to make when I get more loose funds.

90269 (4)
T301
90668 (2)
T308

This order includes both the Titan Auto Drum knob wrench and the Titan die lock nut wrench, four turrets, two short rifle charge dies, one universal expanding die, and a 300BLK trim gauge.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”