Building a new bench to lighten your day

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Building a new bench to lighten your day

Post by horseman »

I decided a couple weeks ago I needed more work space in my reloading room and figured I'd just build another bench. This will be the short version of that undertaking. So, I figured a two foot wide, six feet long at 38" high (I prefer standing, ) would be about right, I have since figured out that 40-41inches would have been better :oops: , that's also all the room I had 8-) . I also wanted to implement the T-channel rails in the top as I've seen others have done so I ordered 8 feet (two four footers) of it complete with the hardware which will leave me two feet on one end of "uninterupted" space. I had a couple smaller cabinet type storage units (covered and full of stuff) that was where the new bench was going to go, so they had to be "unloaded" and removed. After I started this, this, undertaking, and got to where paint was going to be involved I decided that one of my other benches "needed" some touch up and being painted the same as the new one would look "better"...ergo, remove all the "stuff" from that one, remove the shelving, (so I could also paint those) oh, forgot, the bench top and shelving are two different colors, (don't ask why I decided to do that :( ) Well, once I had all the stuff removed from that one, and the two other smaller units I had a royal mess going on in there. I had stuff EVERYWHERE trying to make room for the new, bench, repaint the old bench and I forgot to mention the fact that the "building" of the new bench was going on in there as well, after the boards and such were cut in my shop of course. (some were cut more than once, did I mention I'm not much of a carpenter :D ) by the way, anyone ever use a router? Now that's an interesting tool.... :o Anyway, yesterday I finally finished getting both benches painted, the shelves back on the old bench and the shelving built and painted on the new one, rails are installed and hopefully today will get the mess incurred while doing this cleaned up. All the reloading "stuff" off the floor and wherever else I stuck them and to their "new" bench places. (I'm sure that will all be changed again as I get things back into use) Also, where do we get all this stuff, I found things I haven't seen in years...) I still need to build/make the "plates" for the presses and whatever else I want to use with the track system, but that shouldn't be to much trouble (he say's unknowingly). Ya' know, this "little" project has really been a PITA.... :lol:.... and it ain't over yet.... :shock:
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Building a new bench to lighten your day

Post by Old Scribe »

There's always something else! Let's see some pictures when it's all finished.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ok it's time to punch a hole in the man card....matching colors in a reloading/gun room???? :o :shock: :roll:

There must be a wife involved in those decisions. :lol:

I will say adding a bench or extensions to an existing one certainly stimulates the desire to pick up clean up and organize the disaster area. +corn ;) :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've feared doing any changes to my room, such as you have described Horseman, as they just isn't a good end to it based on my lack of skills. Heck, I totally reorganized my room after the first of the year and I cannot find anything. I mean important big stuff!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have to redo mine frequently due to growth but there's a benefit. I find forgotten stuff I don't need that I peddle away to get more stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

For that missing 4 inches, I suggest something like the Inline Ultramaount (click). It's also available with a quick change top plate. I use that, and it's a very useful and sturdy design.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

LOL, appreciate all the "feedback" fellas. RD, as I read your response, I was remembering,in the back of my mind, the pictures you posted of your reloading room. My recollection at the time was that your's was the most organized, cleanest, and probably the nicest reloading room I've ever seen. It's not a reloading room, it's a reloading (apartment) :lol: ......then I went back an looked again at your photo's, a bit more "in depth" and realized that EVERYWHERE there was "space" it was full of some type containers. HOLY COW, now that's a lot of "stuff". How in the world could you possibly remember whats in all those containers??? I'm in awe. +guns

Well Dan, I had to do the "matching colors" thing, I didn't want the bench colors to clash with the curtains...especially after all the time it took me to pick them out.. :lol: as an aside, I hope things are going well for you and family..

Thanks for the thought Fyodor, but the ultramount type set up is what I'm getting away from (sorta) and going to a "rail" system. I'll post some pictures when I get finished. But you can get a good idea from the Ultimate Reloader ( :lol: ) site.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman wrote:LOL, appreciate all the "feedback" fellas. RD, as I read your response, I was remembering,in the back of my mind, the pictures you posted of your reloading room. My recollection at the time was that your's was the most organized, cleanest, and probably the nicest reloading room I've ever seen. It's not a reloading room, it's a reloading (apartment) :lol: ......then I went back an looked again at your photo's, a bit more "in depth" and realized that EVERYWHERE there was "space" it was full of some type containers. HOLY COW, now that's a lot of "stuff". How in the world could you possibly remember whats in all those containers??? I'm in awe. +guns
It is not easy! I've never posted pictures of my storage room. A lifetime of brass, primers, and powders is stored in there. Stuff destined to be sold ends up there. Once a year I move it out on eBay and Gunbroker.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

You can do what Fyodor suggest or just add the missing inches to the legs, that's a good feature of wood.
Je suis Charlie
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

62chevy wrote:You can do what Fyodor suggest or just add the missing inches to the legs, that's a good feature of wood.
Thinking of just adding some 4" harbor freight locking wheels to it.... :idea:

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”