New Bench using T-track

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Bench using T-track

Post by horseman »

Here's an update on my new bench. Still not finished with everything but I've been busy elsewhere with some things and have just been "piddlin" at it lately. My original idea was to place the front track 2in inside the edge and the second 8 inches further. As things progressed and I checked a few things (don't want to get to involved here with my thinkin') I decided to just place the front track right on the edge and the second the same 8 inches farther.
bench 001.JPG
This pic shows a press mounted on one of my "plates" and how they will be "attached" to the bench using the bolts and "handles" supplied.
bench 002.JPG
The press(es) are/will be mounted to the "plates" using T-nuts. These are 1/4in x20 bought at Home Don't Know. Drill a hole in the mounting plate, hammer (easy does it) the T-nut in and finish "drawing" it level with the bottom using the bolt.
bench 007.JPG
All I did for the bolt and handle to slide into the press plate was take my router and cut a slot about an inch into the plate. Almost forgot, on the handle with bolt I did epoxy a large washer to the bottom of the handle to give a wider base for pressure on the plate. (edit) also to keep from pulling the bolt out of the handle..
bench 003.JPG
As for storage, I added a 2in "spacer" on the top shelf just a bit taller than the press plate then ran a 1x4 across the top so that one end of the plate is held in place under the 1x4. Works very well and is stable.
bench 005.JPG
It's 6ft across the top so room for many presses. That's about it. Hope you all like it. I've seen better versions of this elsewhere, but this is about the limits of my "talent".... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on 02 Mar 2016 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: New Bench using T-track

Post by Steve »

Looks like it will work to me Horseman. Hope the wood is hardwood.

Steve
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Looks like a very flexible design! I like that.

I would have used a different wood, because grown wood can (and eventually will) split along the growth rings, exspecially when flexed. But if it profed sturdy, I'm just over-engineering right now.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
r1200r

Post by r1200r »

Looks good I loke the quick change ability that setup brings.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

To those wondering about the mounts' strength, the press mounts are 1" laminated wood. It's very strong stuff against the grain, but like the rest of you I do wonder if it will do the job. We will see, but there's only about an inch and a half "overhang" with the presses and the brunt of pressure is actually on the two rear hold down bolts. My thinking, questionable as it may be, with the "plates" being 11in long, 10in wide and completely supported from beneath (I did sand the entire surface to be flat) that stability is more a question than strength. We will see. If not, I'll just make some bigger ones.... :D and thanks for the "kudos"....
Steve

Post by Steve »

Horseman wrote:To those wondering about the mounts' strength, the press mounts are 1" laminated wood.
Excellent Horseman, laminated wood is strong. I was mounted on 3/4 inch oak for many years with a turret press then the Loadmaster. Little bit of flex but no problems from it.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

How things of wood are assembled seems to make more difference than materials. That ASSumes not using partical board of course. Laminates can be very strong. The back side is important as noted above. The side closer to the user is supported by the EARTH. Gravity and strength of assembly is of import at the rear. Let's all remember our trigonometry and strength of triangulation.

I like innovative ideas by those with open minds to possible future adaptations towards a certain goal.

I say good for you and go for it!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

You must be a fan of gavintoobe on Youtube. That will be one useful bench.
Je suis Charlie
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

[quote="62chevy"]You must be a fan of gavintoobe on Youtube. That will be one useful bench.

Thanks, I've watched a lot of his videos and do like his setup, but, well, ummm, let's just say I do some reloading things a bit different than he does.... :D
Last edited by Anonymous on 21 Nov 2017 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1418

Post by Deleted User 1418 »

Cool concept.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”