Adam Lee's bench (right!)

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Adam Lee's bench (right!)

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Well guys, I'm going to make a joke at my own expense. I've just gotten started doing any reloading at all with my very first "roll your own" rounds here in my condo/apartment. Yes, I invested in several used Lee Loader kits from various sources to get myself started. Here is a couple pics of some of the bare essentials I sourced locally - from a super LGS in Woodbridge, VA about a half hour from me.

Here you see a pound of Win 231 powder, Win small pistol primers, and 500 Badman Bullets brand .357/.38 lead bullets in 125 grn/LRNFP flavor all purchased from my newest favorite LGS, All Shooters Tactical. I was looking for a simple lead bullet (these are polymer coated) for banging away at the WMA with my Security Six 4" .357 and thought I'd also try the same in my Rossi 92.
IMG_3486.jpg
You also notice my "workbench" reloading kits - I have four at the moment, always looking for a few more. The left pair are 60's production .30-30/.30 Rem and .35 Rem kits. The right side pair are from the 70's, my .38/.357 and .32 Win/.32 Rem kits. I have several antique Remingtons chambered in long-orphaned ammo, which is what got me started in reloading in the first place. Those rifles include several Model 8 and 81 autoloading Remingtons, I have 4 at the moment chambered in .30 Rem/.32 Rem/ .35 Rem and .300 Savage. I also have a 1924 Remington Model 14 in .32 Rem to keep fed.
IMG_3487.jpg
Now you see a few of the tools I've gathered to make this primitive process work safely and efficiently. A digital caliper I've had for a few years works fine, got a new pocket style Frankford Arsenal scale, and hard to see in the back I have a bronze-colored Lyman case prep multi-tool. It's neat, has what I need all in one easy to use hand-powered tool. Not pictured is the Frankford Arsenal kinetic bullet puller that I have been using to shuck the 170-grn "blue nose" bullets from my stash of antique .32 Rem ammo. More on that later!
IMG_1235.jpg
I'm glad to have had the time to share my beginner's bench with you all. My dogs let me off the hook this morning, and haven't come out and nudged me to walk them just yet - guess I tuckered 'em out good last night and it's given me the time to compose this note!

Be well

Adam Lee in Virginia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alphalimafoxtrot on 19 Jul 2017 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Adam Lee's bench (right!)

Post by daboone »

OPPS the photos didn't make it. Take a look at this link:http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

daboone wrote:OPPS the photos didn't make it. Take a look at this link:http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
Thanks, I tried and thought they worked but obviously the pics didn't come through right. Got it fixed!

Now, with the rifle cases I'm going to bang out my next investments will be large rifle primers and a pound of more appropriate powder. Because I'm trying to keep things simple and my chamberings are not very "young" I'm trying to decide (with some help, of course!) between rifle powders based on my Lee and Lyman info, as well as the Hodgdon's info I've got.

I also did not take a picture, but Amazon Prime has had a workout lately and it's not just with my wife's credit card alone! :lol: I now have the most recent Lee reloading manual, 2016 printing, as well as the most recent Lyman 50th edition reloading book.

Alright - I'll come back and add some more info and pics later once I can. Thanks for looking in!

Adam
Last edited by alphalimafoxtrot on 19 Jul 2017 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Don't feel bad since that stupid Photo(BS)bucket went nuts its been difficult for this old f a r t to get organized and post pics too.

But now your photos are posting perfectly. :t
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My 32 Rem is a real shooter with a Lee 323-170 I plain based and IMR 4350 . The original Rem Win and turned Win 30-30 . I size them 323 and they just drop in .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

RBHarter wrote:My 32 Rem is a real shooter with a Lee 323-170 I plain based and IMR 4350 . The original Rem Win and turned Win 30-30 . I size them 323 and they just drop in .
Rich - how did those old .32's do for ya? I think we traded old .32 Rem for a Lee Loader. Was that the deal - or is my memory totally shot?

Adam
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think Mr. Lee would be proud of you and I as well. It looks like you are organized and have thought things out.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

My initial setup was equally tiny, but instead of LEE loaders (which are virtually impossible to get over here) I got a LEE hand press and a few die sets. Works absolutely perfectly, just not as fast as a proper press. Still use it from time to time, especially for load development on the range, setups like these are extremely valuable.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:
RBHarter wrote:My 32 Rem is a real shooter with a Lee 323-170 I plain based and IMR 4350 . The original Rem Win and turned Win 30-30 . I size them 323 and they just drop in .
Rich - how did those old .32's do for ya? I think we traded old .32 Rem for a Lee Loader. Was that the deal - or is my memory totally shot?

Adam
I'm just happy to have them . I got into a wildcat Carcano , 2-3 Mausers ,a couple lever guns , some hog hunting and back to full time work .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”