Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

The way I currently prime

Post by Steve »

This is the way I prime now.
Prime1.jpg
This is one way I primed a few thousand in the past, but gave it up.
AutoPrime2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: The way I currently prime

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Tried a lot of others but prefer my green machine also.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Green by hand.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I should have stated that the RCBS Bench Priming tool is what I use for small primers. Change over to large primer is easy, but I find it easier on small batches of large primers to just grab the hand primer shown below. I first bought the hand held primer shown, did approximately 5,000 small primers without much problem, but then purchased the bench primer.
HandPrime-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Thank you Steve for giving up your Auto Prime II! :D

I loved mine so much my son borrowed it! Thanks to you I have another. ;) The thread posted here: http://www.handloadersbench.com/view_to ... o+prime+ii
made it a great priming tool for the single stage press.

I also have the RCBS Bench Primer. I think it is a excellent tool. The only advantage the Auto Prime II has over it is the primer tray vs the RCBS primer tube. It is easier and faster to fill the tray than the tubes. The disadvantage of the AP II is it requires the use of my single stage press when it is already in use for another project. Another even more SERIOUS problem with the AP II is it is no longer made. :cry:

Again THANK YOU Steve! I hope someday I can do something nice for you.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

daboone wrote:The disadvantage of the AP II is it requires the use of my single stage press when it is already in use for another project.
A LEE reloader single stage is so cheap, you could easily buy one and dedicate it as a priming press. When you limit the lever movement to just a bit more than necessary to reset, this might actually be as good as a bench prime, but maybe even cheaper.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Fyodor wrote: A LEE reloader single stage is so cheap, you could easily buy one and dedicate it as a priming press.
I had one not long ago. Sadly I gave it away when I moved. Now due to a serious reduction in bench space I don't want another anything on my benches. So now I just complain and moan and whine about my lifes problems. ;) :P

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

daboone wrote:Thank you Steve for giving up your Auto Prime II! :D

I loved mine so much my son borrowed it! Thanks to you I have another. ;) The thread posted here: http://www.handloadersbench.com/view_to ... o+prime+ii
made it a great priming tool for the single stage press.

I also have the RCBS Bench Primer. I think it is a excellent tool. The only advantage the Auto Prime II has over it is the primer tray vs the RCBS primer tube. It is easier and faster to fill the tray than the tubes. The disadvantage of the AP II is it requires the use of my single stage press when it is already in use for another project. Another even more SERIOUS problem with the AP II is it is no longer made. :cry:

Again THANK YOU Steve! I hope someday I can do something nice for you.
Thanks Daniel,
I am glad you made use of it.
Steve
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I'll keep my comments to those concerning Lee products. I've been reloading for a long time and have tried several different priming methods. I of course started with the stock priming methods (Lee Loader and Challenger Press) and saw several hand primers in catalogs so I tried a Lee hand primer (before the web we had reloading supply vendor's catalogs). So-so, not impressed and it didn't seem to fit my hand. Then I got a Lee Hand Press and it came with a ram prime, and found the ram prime the best solution thus far. I used the ram prime on a dedicated little "C" press for many years and in the meantime I tried 3 other makes of hand primers (a newer Lee and two other manufacturers). I still didn't care for the lack of "feel" and having to reset the tool in my hand after each squeeze. I stayed with the ram prime, even putting one in an empty hole on one of my turrets and using it on my Lee turret. I discovered the new Lee Bench Prime and once I read the instructions, and followed them (!) I have stuffed mebbe 2,000 primers in pockets with no trouble at all, just load 100 primers in the tray and prime 100 cases, non stop...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Mimld I wish the new Lee Bench primer had been available when I got the RCBS Bench Primer. I'm sure I would have gotten it instead. I do like the Green primer so I'll stick with it.

Return to “Off Press Priming”