Safety Prime Trough Security

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Safety Prime Trough Security

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been using the Safety Prime on by Classic Turret Press for about a year and a half, I switched to it when I started using the Auto Drum. Right away I started having an issue with it on runs of ammunition over 40 ~ 50 rounds. Slowly the trough halves would start splitting up toward the top, and the primers would flip or get stuck sideways. I experienced it with both the large and small systems immediately, but addressed it and never thought much else about it. My fix was a small zip tie and the top, and since then, I have never had an issue with it again.

Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Safety Prime Trough Security

Post by daboone »

Non sequitur but this applies to the "security" of this above topic.

I fly a lot because my daughter is a flight attendant thus I get a "daddy pass". (Thank You Southwest Airlines)
I store my suitcase in the closet where powders and primers are stored. This suitcase gets pack in the same room thus is exposed to these "very dangerous and terroristic" substances. No matter where I fly to or from (PHX, Hobby, MAF, OAK, BUR or KOA) every time I open my suitcase I find an TSA inspection notice. This has only pi$$ed me off once because they found my old timer pocket knife and opened it and didn't close it back thus leaving a blade exposed right on the very top. :shock: Fortunately it didn't do any damage to my stuff.

Actually I'm glad to know they are doing such a good job inspecting for terroristic substances.

End of Off Topic digression. :S ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Off topic; I've bee using Lee products since the beginning ('69) and just like computers, if I don't keep up with the current technology/terminology I'm lost. For my pea brain there's jes too many priming tools to keep up with... :oops:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the round one. Mine has only spread too far once I can remember and it was on the large primer tray I only starting using in the last year (with the purchase of the wasffle top and Evil Roy).

I still don't understand why (or what they mean by) people "dump" primers into anything.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I still don't understand why (or what they mean by) people "dump" primers into anything.
Ran a search of this topic, the only use of "dump" was in your post.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

In easy, plain talk "dump" means to drop something, en mass, either into a container or on a surface. When I transfer primers I carefully flip the sleeve into a primer tray (or when I'm using a ram prime, a paper towel) and I'll say I "dumped" some primers. Just a word. When I went to Texas as a teen from Los Angeles I had a bit of difficulty with some words and phrases, and I think some fellers would "toss" some primers into their priming tools "fixin'" to prime some "shells"... :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was referring to this topic ----> http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php ... 055#p24055

Just wondering what the difference in the round and newer version and if one is more troublesome than the other....and if the Loadmaster makes either/both harder to set up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Just wondering what the difference in the round and newer version and if one is more troublesome than the other....and if the Loadmaster makes either/both harder to set up.
One difference is with Federal primers. The primer box simply overwhelms the round Lee tray. Not so the square fold tray.

Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

You can read my mind somehow. I don't remember Fed primers being pointed out (I'm not old enough for memory loss right?). I have never used them but I got some in trade recently.

It all makes a little more sense now.

Return to “On Press Priming”