New Quick trim........ Not impressed

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: New Quick trim........ Not impressed

Post by bayou »

Same here - another vote for the Lee case length gauges and hand held cutters. These things just plain work. And they are pretty cheap, cost wise.

I use them for 30-30, 30 carbine, 223, and 30-06.

I've got a more pricey lathe-type trimmer. It also works well, but the Lee trimmer with the 3-jaw chuck in a drill just knocks out the trimming faster and easier than anything else I've come across. For me, at least.

I made my own ball handle for the cutter. Went to Hobby Lobby, bought a couple of wooden balls, drilled a hole (1/2 inch, as I recall) and inserted the cutter with a bit of glue. Works great.

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
acgeorge
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by acgeorge »

I learned something new, thought I would share it. I received a .223 quick trim die with my new Loadmaster .223 kit. The new quick trim die is marked LEE-223-K6, my original die is marked LEE-223-F3. I asked Lee customer service about the difference, they replied:

The Letter/Number stampings on our reloading dies are an internal manufacturing date code telling us when we made the dies. The Letter represents a month and the number represents the year, starting in 2000. For example A3 = January 2013, B6 = February 2016, etc. In years that have the same last number, such as "3", it could represent either 2003 or 2013. Because the Quick Trim Dies weren't introduced until 2013, your dies were made in 2013 and 2016. Your die from 2013 may have a rubber O Ring to hold the cases in place, instead of the newer dies having a nylon bushing, however they will function the exact same way.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by oscarflytyer »

Ranch Dog wrote:I will stick with the Lee Case Length Gauge & Trimmers. Great system. .
and I, too am much less than impressed with the Quick Trim... I use the Lee Case Length Gauge & Trimmers for nearly all mine, and prob will for the two I got the less than stellar Quick Trims for...
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

For my .30-30's, after washing/drying, I use the drill adapter, spin the case trimmer, then chamfer, debur, and neck brush, wipe off lube all with the case in the drill adapter and in a matter of about one minute per case. Works for me.
+guns +guns
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

acgeorge wrote:......I asked Lee customer service about the difference, they replied:

The Letter/Number stampings on our reloading dies are an internal manufacturing date code telling us when we made the dies. The Letter represents a month and the number represents the year, starting in 2000. For example A3 = January 2013, B6 = February 2016, etc. In years that have the same last number, such as "3", it could represent either 2003 or 2013. Because the Quick Trim Dies weren't introduced until 2013, your dies were made in 2013 and 2016. Your die from 2013 may have a rubber O Ring to hold the cases in place, instead of the newer dies having a nylon bushing, however they will function the exact same way.
Somebody explained this before but I didn't save it. This time I will. Thank for posting this info.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Case Trimming”