Case Prep ~ Frankford Arsenal Equipment

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Case Prep ~ Frankford Arsenal Equipment

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I've wanted the dryer longer than I have wanted the rotary tumbler. I wash my brass after it comes out of the case vibrator in order to get the residue off of it and even in my air conditioned reloading room it takes too long to dry.

The timers on both units were a plus for me because I can just let the units take care of that and move on to something else. I've been working with smaller "lots" of brass the last couple of years so I'm doing this part of the prep more frequently. Be nice to knock it out with cleaner primer pockets and no dust.
Fyodor wrote:That is one of the disadvantages of too clean brass: carbon is a lubricant, too.
Yeap.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

First use went very well with the Turtle Zip Wash & Wax. The tumbler held 1 1/4 gallons of liquid so I only added 1/2 ounces of the Zip. Little 9mm buggers look bright and shinny. I didn't think about how fast water runs off of the stuff that I've washed with the Zip. After the normal shaking, they looked dry. 10 minutes on the dryer and they were bone dry! The Zip really sheds water.

The real deal is that darn magnet! It is worth an immediate order as I can see what a nightmare the pins could become. The pins cannot resist it but drop right off when you close your hand on the handle.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Can't wait for Amazon the deliver the Turtle Zip Wash & Wax. It sounds superior to the Armor All wash in wax I've been using for just the drying time. They also have an "Ultra Shine" wash and wax. I wonder if anyone has tried it and if it will further reduce the drag on the cases from the powder thru expander dies????
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

daboone wrote:Can't wait for Amazon the deliver the Turtle Zip Wash & Wax. It sounds superior to the Armor All wash in wax I've been using for just the drying time. They also have an "Ultra Shine" wash and wax. I wonder if anyone has tried it and if it will further reduce the drag on the cases from the powder thru expander dies????
Dan -

I've tried the following wash and wax products for wet tumbling:

Blue Coral
Amor-All
Rain-X
Maquires

In my experience, they are all about the same in cleaning results. The only one to have a drawback, for me at least, was the Rain-X since it did not suds up enough in the tumbler. Finding no difference, I just use the Blue Coral as it's the cheapest of the lot.

I have not tried Turtle Zip wash and wax, but it's something I'd like to do.

Thanks, Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Dan, I'm using the ultrashine product from Armorall (lovely orange color) but cant help with the PTE as I'm not currently using one.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I ran a short run of the 9mm Luger I washed through the Load-Master, first one at a time and then as a string. I was not priming, charging, or seating bullets; I just wanted to feel the brass go through each die. I have no other wash/waxes to compare it to but it was very slick. I have been spraying all my handgun brass with the Lee Case Lube and isopropyl alcohol mix talked about in another topic and being it is being sprayed, I always include inside the case of pistol cartridges. The feed through each stations was slicker than what I was used to.

There is 45 Auto washing & waxing right now for a production run of ammo on the Load-Master this afternoon or evening. Weather is perfect for a hog hunt though.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Out of the three tools that I bought; rotary tumbler, dryer, and magnet, the magnet is KING! I cannot picture working with the steel pins without it. I end up with a few pins in the sink, on the floor, or bench and a quick pass of the magnet without touching the surface and they are cleaned up! The Magnet is worth its weight in steel pins.

I ordered a Lyman Sift Pan this morning. I have several different separators, but nothing contains the pins.

I am a bit disappointed in the Frankford Arsenal Dryer in that it doesn't have an on/off switch or timer. In that it is part of the outfit's "Platinum Series", you think it would.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I probably shouldn't say this as it's likely not best practice but I use my dehydrator to dry cases if I have too many for my other method. I cover the trays with parchment paper set it on high (160 deg) and run it a couple hours by timer.

My other method? I cook with an induction top and I have an adapter plate that lets me heat non-magnetic pots etc. I put the plate on the "burner", stand the cases up right on it and set it on low (1). When the cases are dry I turn it off and let them cool. Clean, dry and ready to load.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like it works!
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”