Lyman Pin Sifter & Shell Sorter

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lyman Pin Sifter & Shell Sorter

Post by Ranch Dog »

I decided to give the Lyman Pin Sifter a try as a method of rinsing and drying the pins rather than keeping them in the tumbler. It has a pan for containing the brass and a metal screen for the pins. I have a small wash basin in my garage sink that I purchased at Wal-Mart, fits the Lyman set like a glove.
Lyman_case&pin_sifter.jpg
I've never heard any others here mention it but I am using the Shell Sorter for years, and it works as advertised.
shell_sorter.jpg
I bought the "Value Pack" that the link will take you to so that I could separate the 380 Auto from the 9mm Luger as well. At the time of my purchase, it was available through MidwayUSA.

When I was attending Front Sight, I would ship a USPS Large Flat Rate box home every day. I had pre-printed the labels and would just leave the box at the front desk when I headed out. We were allowed to pick up brass during long breaks like lunch, 40 guys shooting up 1,000 rounds over a long weekend puts a lot of brass on the ground. It seemed like there were only about 3 or 4 guys in each class that picked up the brass, all the others did not reload. You must shoot factory ammo, so that is a bit of a pill to swallow for a guy like myself but the four large boxes compensated.

I picked up everything where the others usually sorted as the picked, but I would have a full box in minutes. Once home all the brass was sorted in a few moments. The trays work very well. FS didn't allow anything smaller that the 9mm Luger so most of the stuff was that cartridge, the 40 S&W, and 45 Auto. There would be the oddball Glock & Sig cartridges that I would just chunk because those are not shot out here in the sticks. You would never find ammo for them. Of course, I use the 380 Auto here, and the 25 & 32 Auto that I shoot just falls to the bottom of the pail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lyman Pin Sifter & Shell Sorter

Post by daboone »

That sounds like it might be a bit faster than what I've been doing.
I.E. Sort the rifle from the handgun, then the big ones from the small one and then ......... Yep that might be faster. :lol:

Now if it would sort Mak from 9mmL and also by headstamps ..... :roll: :P

A few years ago I could pick up LARGE quantities of range brass. Nowadays there are scroungers beating me to it. I'm lucky to find more than 2 lbs on a good day. Maybe it just getting more difficult to bend over to pick brass up. :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I know around here the scroungers are getting the range brass several times a week and selling the brass for scrap. A lot of shooters, mostly youngins don't bother picking up their empties. Not long ago (maybe a couple of weeks) the price for scrap brass was 78 cents a pound. It doesn't take long to get 40 or 50 pounds of empty brass.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

It sickens me but it's happening at my range to I had to darn near point my gun at these people to tell them until I leave my warm brass is mine. They were still running for it as I put up new targets. Ticked me off like copper wire thieves at job sites n such. It's my money on the ground you best leave it until I am ready to leave after that have at it lol. :lol:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “All Other Tools”