Electric Caliper Recommendations?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Electric Caliper Recommendations?

Post by cj8281 »

I found an 8 inch Mitutoyo electronic caliper at a local pawnshop. Works perfectly. Same readings with old battery and new. Have several standards to check them with. I would normally use a dial caliper but the Prestige one that I was last using got dropped and is no longer working properly. The Prestige replaced a Craftsman dial caliper. Both the Craftsman and Prestige calipers were used for more than 10 years before they were damaged and made unusable.
I also have and sometimes use an old Lyman caliper that is made of plastic or nylon. Accurate enough. Reads within .001 of my other measuring devices. It was also the first pair of calipers that I purchased.
timv
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by timv »

I tried the HF(junk), went to Menards and bought the Tool Shop 6" digital, fills the bill for my needs and it has a lifetime guaranty,
Had the Lyman, it died, Frankford Arsenal, died went through batteries,
but the Tool Shop is working good no problems
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I have a Frankford Arsenal and Starret dial, a Starret Vernier, and a plastic Central Tools dial, all still functional and accurate. As Boone pointed out they're easier to read and the electric ones I have had sooner or later dumped on me for one reason or another.
Get what you can afford, but try a dial caliper first IMHO.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

If possible, I'd prefer a mechanical caliper. Unfortunately they're quite rare by now. I got a dial caliper with 0,05 mm (0.002 ") readout, and a digital decent quality caliper. Most of the time I use the mechanical one, the digital always has a dead battery, or it was taken out to prevent it from going dead, or it skips a few reads when it's too hot or too cold...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “All Other Tools”