Tapatalk has been disabled!

Please start here!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Tapatalk has been disabled!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tapatalk has been disabled and will remain so until there is a programing change. Tapatalk recently added a "chat room" to every member forum that the Tapatalk staff controls and doesn't not allow the forum owner to have a say in what is discussed nor have moderator control over the discussions. In addition, through programming, they will add you the user to different chat rooms as the code suggests and you have no say in whether your profile information is available or not to other Tapatalk users. This is an extreme breach of security and trust.

Given the subject of my forums, I'm held responsible for the content. As an example, if insurrection becomes a topic and the subject theme of that topic is supporting it, whether I support it or not, I am held equally responsible. A case could be made for subjects not appropriate for minors or any number of things.

"Chat" also operates outside of the forum so it takes information away from the forum. A great example is my Lee Loader forum. I has +/- 500 members but 700 other followers. In a nutshell, "Chat" is robbing the knowledge base of what 700 additional members could provide. Any useful information these followers could add along the forum's subject line is not recorded for future use. Of course, most of the "chat" traffic is nonsense.

This, "Chat", rings the death knell for Tapatalk. Whether they code a forum owner control or not, the app is on the way out. There have been too many security issues over the years that the forum owner has had to worry and deal with. Prior to the first of the year, I was working on mobile stylesheets the would make the forum device friendly. You would select the "skin" through your User Control Panel. I will get back to the coding as Tapatalk has never been very responsive to the owners of the forums that they rape and pillage.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Tapatalk has been disabled!

Post by daboone »

fine with me I never liked it anyway.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Get rid of it!!! Total B/S!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Never understood why some people love tapatalk anyways. Tried it and couldn't uninstall it fast enough.
264 Win Mag

Post by 264 Win Mag »

I wondered why I was getting notification of comments I had no idea about. It was the chat room stuff I don't participate in from several of my forums. I will say I did like the ability view and respond to threads on my mobile device since I am not able to check in on the forums the majority of the day. I do agree this is a big security issue with outside entities having control over settings.

Thomas
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Well, I will miss the Tapatalk feature. I read and participate in about a dozen forums, and Tapatalk makes it very easy to follow all of them on my tablet and smartphone. It reduced traffic tremendously compared to the web interfaces.

Sorry to hear that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Well, I will miss the Tapatalk feature. I read and participate in about a dozen forums, and Tapatalk makes it very easy to follow all of them on my tablet and smartphone. It reduced traffic tremendously compared to the web interfaces.

Sorry to hear that.
I thought about you in my decision as I know that you are very pro-Tapatalk but everything they manage to do rubs me the wrong way. This outfit really believes that dependency on technology should require you to surrender your privacy. Of course, they are nothing but a marketing firm that mines and sells everything that a user does with their device. I pretty much look at them as the anti-Christ.

I wanted to reload & shoot today but these %@*&$ robbed me of my entire day.

You might look at Mobile/Device Friendly "Air" To Replace Tapatalk.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I used it a lot for Rossi-Rifleman and one other automotive site, not much else. Most of the forums I'm on are not on Tapatalk anyway. It was a good app for me when it started but this last straw couldn't be tolerated.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

For what it worth I had Tat for all of about 15 min..... all of my devices run just fine in desktop mode .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

It was a convenience thing for me. There are other ways to access L-L using my phone. None of us really need to help a business that is pulling this kind of crap!
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy

Return to “Registration, Rules, and Information”