9MM Bullet mold opinions

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 9MM Bullet mold opinions

Post by Ranch Dog »

Only one for me, my TLC357-135-RF.

NOE has a standard lube version of my design; the SC-357-135-RF. Accurate has the 35-135D, search the page that opens, which is the original tumble lube design.
Michael
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Now there's an idea RD. I've been loading Lee's TL356-124 for my LC9 trying different powders and loads with varying success-most of it ok. I was thinking of trying another cast boolit awhile back but never gave much thought to design, weight, BC until now. I just may give the NOE a try. I'm about ready to cast more for 9mm and 38 special as the summer heatwave has cooled considerably.
Steve
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I piddled around with just about every CB design available and finally said to hell with it. I'm going to design a gas check bullet to complement this high-pressure cartridge. I've never looked back.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:I piddled around with just about every CB design available and finally said to hell with it. I'm going to design a gas check bullet to complement this high-pressure cartridge. I've never looked back.
That would be interesting. Are you looking at .355 for the seated check or .356? I wonder if my checks for the 35 Remington would work. They give me .359 on the base of a 204 grain bullet but with adequate check shank may successfully squeeze down another .003-4. That would be great!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:That would be interesting. Are you looking at .355 for the seated check or .356
I designed this bullet for my Taurus pistols, they have a .358" groove. The bullet body tapers from .357" to .358" to mirror the taper of the 9mm Luger's case. I use a .358" sizer to seat the gas checks.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Macd wrote:That would be interesting. Are you looking at .355 for the seated check or .356
I designed this bullet for my Taurus pistols, they have a .358" groove. The bullet body tapers from .357" to .358" to mirror the taper of the 9mm Luger's case. I use a .358" sizer to seat the gas checks.
Unfortunately anything over .356 prevents chambering in my M&P9. I often wonder at the variability in the 9mm particularly. I shoot with a guy whose 9mm needs cast at least .357 or he gets terrible leading issues. If I load his cast in my cases it bulges them slightly. We assume the leading is because his barrel groove diameter is on the higher side of the SAAMI spec. (.355-.359). Just out of curiosity I measured 5 of my resized cases. They average a .372 OD and .351ID at the case mouth. I am using a Lee die. After looking at the SAAMI drawings that seems pretty tight, even undersized.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”