Whew!

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Whew!

Post by GasGuzzler »

daboone wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Good point. All mine are two hole except the 45 colt I recently bought from RD and my old Lee custom RD design for my waffle top.
:?: Waffle Top :?: :?:
1951 336RC in .30-30.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

FWIW, I have two old molds that produce very good bullets; a Lee 148 gr. WC and a Lyman 225 gr RN. These two will make very good bullets enough oversize to get consistent finished diameter, but no so big as to be tiresome running them through my Lee sizers. Only problem is they are single cavity molds. Last week it took a looong time to get a pan full of bullets, less than I would normally consider OK for a casting session but now I have about 200 excellent bullets for my 3" 38 and my 1911... Whew is right... :lol:
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I very seldom have problems getting "good" bullets after getting the molds up to temp. I don't preheat the molds other than setting them on top of the pot while it's heating up. Might take three or four pours to get them warm enough. I do run my melt a bit "hot", between 700 and 750, pile up my sprues and when the temp gets up a bit I just dump a hand full in the pot. I do use a thermometer but I don't really know how accurate it is but if I keep it at that reading it all works out. One thing I do with all my molds after cleaning is I pour several bullets (how they look really isn't important as long as the "edges" are sharp) roll them in the same compound I use for firelapping between to pieces of iron plate to "impregnate" them with the compound then run a screw into the base of the bullet and spin them in each cavity (slowly with a light grip on the handle) with a power screwdriver. Change bullets as needed. Doesn't take much to really clean up a cavity. I also don't worry all that much about minor "wrinkles" on a bullet as long as the base and grooves have sharp edges and the weights are consistent (within a couple grains) they don't have to be "pretty" to shoot well. I like my bullets to have a bit of "frost" to them. If a person doesn't like that look and wants "pretty" just spin them around by hand with some 4 ought steel wool a couple times and you'll have "pretty"........ 8-)
PBaholic
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by PBaholic »

Has no one ever heard of sizing?

I'm a Powder Coater, but use the TL (Alox) molds. After I PC them, I run them all through the sizer.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

PBaholic wrote:Has no one ever heard of sizing?
Rhetorical I guess?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”