Rooster Jacket

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Rooster Jacket

Post by Ranch Dog »

I see where Buffalo Arms is now offering Rooster Jacket Bullet Lube, I loved this stuff with my 25 & 32 Auto but it has been not manufactured for a number of years. It dries hard and is not sticky. I really have been thinking about this lube as I tuned up my Load-Masters with the bullet feeders and there it is! I tried it with my 380 Auto but saw leading. I'm using a harder alloy now for all my bullets so I will try it again with that cartridge and possibly the 45 Auto.
rooster_jacket.jpg
Bought a gallon of it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Rooster Jacket

Post by larryw »

So far, with just the 2 small casting runs, 148gr button nose W/C, I'm really liking that
mixture Dan hooked me up with 1/2 Alox. 1/2 Johnson's wax.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:So far, with just the 2 small casting runs, 148gr button nose W/C, I'm really liking that
mixture Dan hooked me up with 1/2 Alox. 1/2 Johnson's wax.
Yeah, I like the 70/30 mix of tumble lube but probably will only use it on my rifle bullets from here on out. Going to use either the Rooster Jacket or White Label 2500+ with the Lyman 4500 as I need to keep bullets from sticking with the bullet feeders.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Hi-Teked, or powder coated bullets will solve the problem. I have not used my lubesizer for years.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:Hi-Teked, or powder coated bullets will solve the problem. I have not used my lubesizer for years.
Yeah, not for me. Paint or painting is a line in the sand for me. If my wife wants something painted, she can hire it done or get another husband. If I have to paint bullets, I will shoot jacketed bullets.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Back when the hi-tek and PC started, I'll never do that, My lube has worked for me for years, why change now, was the norm. Surveys on one of the reloading forums show that it is about 50/50 now. Tumble lubing, or a Star are faster than coating . What I like about coated bullets is that I can stockpile thousands of bullets in boxes, and pull them out and use them years later. Also I color code my loads to ID different things. That said, I still have my lubsizer on the shelf, and contaniers of tumble lube ready for use if needed.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

One of my all time favorites lubes was Carnauba Red. http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main ... ucts_id=11

More recently I started doing the shake and bake with HF red PC. The time required for this method vs the time required to lube size with a lubrisizer or even a push thru is just a little bit more but there is an advantage. A lot of my Lee molds are undersized for my old milsurp rifles. The advantage of PC coating brings these bullets from those molds up to perfect fit.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I cast and load a NOE 360/180 in .357s so the sizer is needed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Mainehunter

Post by Mainehunter »

daboone wrote:One of my all time favorites lubes was Carnauba Red. http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main ... ucts_id=11

More recently I started doing the shake and bake with HF red PC. The time required for this method vs the time required to lube size with a lubrisizer or even a push thru is just a little bit more but there is an advantage. A lot of my Lee molds are undersized for my old milsurp rifles. The advantage of PC coating brings these bullets from those molds up to perfect fit.
I know a few guys that switched to PC because of that. There are some good things and not so good things about it so I'm still on the fence. A friend of mine years ago used Rooster Jacket exclusively and loved it. Never tried it wished I had. I've been happy with Ben's Liquid lube for my Lee molds and Ben's Red for the rest but I would like to start casting for my Mini 30 and M1A so I don't know if any of the two I have would work out.

Mainehunter

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”