2 coats of lube ?

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 2 coats of lube ?

Post by GRV01 »

Interesting, i take it the mineral spirits is to keep it from clumping?

Alternatively could one sub minspirits for IPA to facilitate drying?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I suppose you could st thin the allox with the mineral spirits, however all the tried and tested formulas n this category that I'm aware of include some type of wax. I believe the original was allox, paste wax (Johnson's) and mineral spirits in approximately equal amounts. The use of the Johnson liquid floor wax just cuts out the need to get the paste wax dissolved.I've not tried the idea of overlaying the conventional lube with the liquid concoction but understand that some do and it does cut down on the sticky and may keep the conventional lube from "drying' out. I know I have some old 357 cast that were lubed with the old NRA formula of 50/50 allox and beeswax and after 15 years or so the old stuff is falling of the bullets when they're handled.

Right now with the black powder cartridge and pistol caliber rifles (and pistols) the Emmert's formula and properly fitted bullets have combined to get the job done.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: I believe the original was allox, paste wax (Johnson's) and mineral spirits in approximately equal amounts.
Make smoke,
Actually I would use 45/45/10 - 10% being the mineral spirit. I even start with that at 5% and add more if needed.
Johnson paste first reduced over heat to about 50% of it's original volume.

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”