45-45-10

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

45-45-10

Post by jloader »

I've been using the 45-45-10 lube very successfully for last year or so.
I store it in 2 16-oz plastic bottles with plastic snap-on cap.

What I notice is that lube shrinks quite a bit, the lube hardens to tar-like paste and the bottle convexes.
All I have to do is it put it in a pot of hot water and it becomes nice and liquidy again.

My question is what is that causes the shrinkage? Is that the mineral spirit mysteriously evaporating thru closed container? Should I add 5 or 10% by volume more mineral spirit to the liquified mix?

What's your experience with it?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 45-45-10

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have the same experience with Ben's Liquid Lube using a plastic bottle similar to the ketchup bottle from restaurants. The little snap on closure is not tight enough to keep the light volatile material in the mineral sprite from evaporating. I took a piece of plastic wrap over the opening and screwed the lid down this seems to retard if not eliminate the evaporation. I slowly added mineral spirits and shook the bottle until I got back to a reasonable mixture.

I had the same thing happen with a plastic dispenser bottle with turpentine in it. Both it and the lube bottle assumed a permanent collapsed state.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 45-45-10

Post by GasGuzzler »

I warm BLL without adding anything. It comes right back. I don't think I've tried 45-45-10.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”