45/45/10 replacement

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

45/45/10 replacement

Post by daboone »

I found this, new to me, 45/45/10 replacement recipe over on Cast Bullet Association's web site. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/th ... implified/

LLA plus carnauba wax
In a 1 quart glass Mason jar, add 4 ounces of deodorized mineral spirits, and 220 grains carnauba wax flakes. If you do not have a scale this is about 2 level tablespoons of flake carnauba. Put the cap on the Mason jar, and heat it in boiling water. DO NOT use direct heat, DO NOT use a microwave! Swirl and heat until all the carnauba dissolves. Open the jar, add a 4 ounce bottle of LLA and swirl to mix. Allow the mixture to cool.
You can double this recipe, a quart Mason jar will hold a double recipe.
The result is a soft paste at room temperature, when warm to touch (~100 F) it is a thick liquid. Put the bullets in a plastic container, add the LLA plus carnauba. One level teaspoon will coat 100 38 caliber bullets, it does not take much. You want a thin film, using more will not work better. Tumble to coat the bullets and pour them onto wax paper to dry. Drying time may be overnight or take several days, depending on the temperature. The resulting film is tough, adheres well, and is not sticky.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 45/45/10 replacement

Post by orerancher »

Interesting...
Tumble lubed with an Alox/Wax mix for a time...

Went to Shake and Bake Powder Coating... Like it way better!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I agree almost 100% for newly cast bullets. BUT if you have some already lubed bullets that need to be touched up it is easier to recoat rather than cleaning ALL the old lube off. Also it the bullet fit is perfect as cast then there is no need to add a PC/etc coat to it.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

My first thought was "mineral spirits in a sealed glass jar the heated to 220 degrees?". A bomb in the making? I have tried this recipe a while back, but I used a "double boiler" type set up and just got the mineral spirits warm, not quite hot enough to evaporate too quickly, then added pre-warmed, pre-thinned alox...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm young in casting but I've removed old lube.

Never again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”