Epoxy coated bullets

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Epoxy coated bullets

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Phase one:

This is after the first initial coating. I added a second coating a few hours later. I'm glad to confirm that the Klass Kote epoxy does not stick to the wax paper. I worried about putting it on too thick and it puddling on the wax paper but I managed to keep it think and the epoxy didn't run at all. I'm aiming for three coats and then let them cure until next weekend when they will be sized and loaded. I'm keeping one group standing on end to see if it makes any difference and so far I don't think so. Even after checking the second coating there is no real flat spot on where the bullet was laying to worry about and I expect the minute flat to be fixed during sizing.

The initial thought in many is probably "what benefit will this give over regular lube or tumble lube and why go to all the effort?"

I can't say personally yet but from the reviews of others that have done this you have no added smoke from bullet lube, the fouling from lube buring is gone, this is dirt cheap to do in that it costs about the same as tuble lube and you use the same cheap Lee push through dies for sizing so no lube press and gear is needed, and I personally get tired of cleaning out dies of lube build up and both my Lyman 450 and RCBS LAM II both make lube messes. I'm bad about getting lube on the base of the bullet which is a mess and smokey when shooting. I don't care for the harder wax lubes and if I use 50/50 lube it then extra bullets stored in a bin like to stick together and the lube will pull off. These bullets should be able to be stored and be fine. And the best part is that if I do decide to buy a bullet feeder then the lube will no longer gum up the feeder. I have a Hornady .45 ACP bullet feeder and I will be trying it with some of the SWC coated bullets.

Phase two will be the final coating which I plan to cut each batch in half and once the bullets are tumble loated I will then dust them with fine graphite and tumble them again. I'm not sure how even it will turn out and I want some to see if it is even needed. I doubt it from other reviews I've read but I would still like to try.

Phase three will be the shooting... Image

Funny that the first post here is a complete non traditional bullet lube post... ;)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Epoxy coated bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck with the project and I look forward to hear what your results are. I thought about getting into it but decided not to do anything different that what I'm doing now. My thoughts where to place them all on their base and spray the coats on.

Look forward to your report!
Michael
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Liquid bullets (solid after hardening)

Post by pricedo »

The engineer part of me always wondered about the possibility of a thin, resilient slick-epoxy that would replace the greasy, flaky lubes currently applied to lead bullets.
Now that we're thinking outside the box let's throw the box away entirely.
I also wondered about the possibility of a a dense epoxy paste or liquid with lead-like properties after hardening that could be poured or pressed (swagged) into molds and then through chemical action harden into temperature resistant bullets without the necessity of having molten lead and lead vapors introduced into my living environment. The whole bullet creating and forming process would theoretically take place at room temperature and the temperature resistant cured bullet would do away with the necessity for gas checks.
I presume this would reduce barrel fouling and make the loose bulk bullets a lot less likely to shed their lubing during handling &/or if exposed to the hot sun or other source of heat.
The messing with molten lead and the greasy lubes were the two main turn-offs that resulted in me not becoming enthusiastic about casting bullets.
Bullets have to be dense and made of an expanding, malleable material that will retain a significant proportion of its shape & weight under high rotational speeds and during impact with flesh and bone.
If the above design parameters are adhered to there is no reason whatsoever other than chronic Ludditism that the bullets have to be made of metal.
We could even color the new liquid-bullet material to resemble lead for the die-hards or Cowboy Action enthusiasts who would not want to be perceived as shooting space age plastic bullets.
If we don't take the initiative in this endeavor it's only a matter of time before the environmentalists force the issue.
Lead projectile prohibitions are becoming the way of the future.
You might make a caster out of me yet.
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I do think that my Tumble Lube designs are prime candidates for receiving the epoxy.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I do think that my Tumble Lube designs are prime candidates for receiving the epoxy.
I have an NOE pointy bullet mold, a .358" RNFP 158gr mold, and the TLC311-165-RF that will be making the next batch if these work. I need to free up some .30-30 brass first though. And I'm not sure how well pointy bullets hold up when tumbled in a bucket.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I tried sizing some of the .45 bullets today and the coating failed during sizing. It's only been a few days so the epoxy may not have set just yet but I'm a little discouraged.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Are you sure your not supposed to size first? As the lead and epoxy meets the steel of the sizing die, something has to give. I suspect, even if bonded, the tensile strength of epoxy is quite a bit less than lead so it is going to give.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

My logic is if they fail during sizing then they will fail for sure in the bore. Besides, if I had to use a lube to prevent leading in the sizing die then I have no idea how I would clean them to apply the epoxy and not worry about residue left behind preventing the epoxy from sticking.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is really what I don't get about the "bullet coating" idea when I studied the epoxy finishes. Lube is simply "O-rings" on a bullet that prevent combustion gases from moving forward. Traditional lubes do not add diameter to a bullet like the epoxy finishes would. During sizing, traditional lubes "pack" the grease grooves with lube but that lube is simply used as a seal.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote:This is really what I don't get about the "bullet coating" idea when I studied the epoxy finishes. Lube is simply "O-rings" on a bullet that prevent combustion gases from moving forward. Traditional lubes do not add diameter to a bullet like the epoxy finishes would. During sizing, traditional lubes "pack" the grease grooves with lube but that lube is simply used as a seal.
You didn't say anything that I disagree with. A huge part of why I'm trying this coated bullet song and dance is that I dislike having to dip bullets to avoid build up in the dies and if I can eliminate the need for gas checks at higher velocity then that would be great. There are days where bullet lube mess almost makes me want to give up on casting. And unless I'm using Hornady gas checks I feel like they are just a pain to deal with. So if a coating either epoxy or powder coat will eliminate the need for gas checks and make bullet lube clean up from gear a thing of the past then I think it's worth the effort to try. And once again, if the EU and AU boys have this worked out then I'm not going to give up and admit defeat!!! ;)

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”