Where do I find it?

Other sources of published loading data.
papajoe222
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Where do I find it?

Post by papajoe222 »

I have two powders that are not listed in my Lyman handbook (49) and would like to begin working up a load for my .223. I went to the Hogdon site, but I question the data they list. The powder is H4895. My book does list the IMR4895, but again I'm hesitant to use data for a similar powder
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Where do I find it?

Post by Poppop »

The Hogdgen site for 55gr bullet call for H4895 25.0 gr to 26.0 gr and the IMR 4895 23.0 gr to 26.2 gr
hogdgenreloading.com
Check it out for your actual bullet weight
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

While H and IMR 4895 are NOT 100% the same they are very close. I use both for loading my son's ARs. You can safely take H4395 load data and by starting at a 10% reduced load safely work up a load that suits your needs.

I'm an old fuddly duddy and don't share load data online. I do know there are superior powders for the AR platform. As I load all my son's ammo I make them buy the powders I use for other rifles. Heck I make them buy all the components for their ammo but I make them stick with the stuff I like and use.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Lee's Modern reloading 2ond ed has the 55 gr 223 with H4895 25.0 start and 26.0c max 3315fps and 51827 psi. IMR 4895 data is somewhat different. Hogdon's 2006 lists H4895 at 26.0 and 49000 CUP. I have not loaded 223 with H4895 yet, but I intend to in the near future.( I have 8 lbs of it) The fact that 26.0 is a compressed load almost assures that you can not overload the cartridge. I like loads that nearly fill the case. If this does not agree with what you find, do not use it and check more manuals. I have about 15 manuals, and have found huge differences in their data. Some have the starting load above the max load in another one.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I tend to trust the sources that show tested data as opposed to those that repeat data particularly if it's without source .
the powder companies and the bullet companies at least the larger one test

Make smoke.
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I tend to trust the sources that show tested data as opposed to those that repeat data particularly if it's without source .
the powder companies and the bullet companies at least the larger one test

Make smoke.
+1.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

While on this subject, I believe you should use the load data from the bullet manufacturer as they test their own bullets with the powders listed. Some bullet constructions can cause higher pressures from simply being of a different design and metal composition.
Here is a quick read on the versatility of H4985.
H4895 powder versatility
Another site that I know of, the author claims he can reload almost any cartridge to usable standards with just three powders, Red Dot, Herco and H4895. If anyone is interested, I will dig it up.

Return to “Other Reloading Data”