Hello from the Show Me State!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Deadp007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Hello from the Show Me State!

Post by Deadp007 »

Hello forum!
Really excited to be here =)
I just ordered a Pro 1000 9mm and am pretty excited/nervous about setting it up, getting correct powder loads...basically everything.
I don't really have any experience, but I have reloaded 12 gauge on a MEC progressive and enjoyed it.
Since ordering from Cabelas, I have read several posts saying that newbies should start out with a single or turret press at most.......sooooooo I'm kind of kicking myself for buying the Pro 1000. (Cabelas was having a sale tho!!!).

Anyway, I haven't got the press yet, I have bought HP-38, Hornaday 9mm .355" 115gr FMJ RN #35557, Remington #1 1/2 and picked up about 300 brass cases. Man, the bullets were crazy expensive, $20 for 100...I'll be ordering those online from now on...Starline has a facility nearby, maybe I'll run in there too.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Hello from the Show Me State!

Post by Fyodor »

Herzlich willkommen from Germany!

My first press was a LEE hand press, which I used for a short time until I graduated to the pro1000 as well.

The pro1000 is not too difficult to master, even for a new reloader. Keep it clean, especially the primer mechanism (including the primer chute) and below the shell plate, use only a little lube, and go as slow as you need to oversee what's happening. Start slow, find a workflow that suits you, but don't try to start mass production at the beginning. Then it's a nice press to learn.

A few tips:
- When I stated "start slow" above, I didn't mean the stroke, I meant the frequency. Your stroke should be smooth and consistent in speed, but take your time in between the up- and down strokes. Consistent ram velocity will give better powder consistency and will prevent jamming
- Check the shellplate nut regularly. If the press doesn't index correctly, most of the time the nut was loose, and the indexing rod turned backwards during the upstroke. That will not only result in wrong indexing (which is easy to recognize), but it will also loosening your shellplate, causing problems with feeding new cases and seating primers. Don't overtighten the nut, but keep an eye on it. A sharpie mark over the edge of shellplate and nut will easily show when it started turning.
- Always have the shellplate full while loading and even for setup. The forces in the press and pressure on the shellplate are different when you cycle only one case, giving inconsistent bullet seating and crimping. When loading for precision shooting, put the first and last two round of a loadin session to the traing ammo pile. If youren't a sharp shooter, it doesn't matter, but still you should know that this does have an effect on the bullet.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you will have a problem with the press or the introduction to reloading metallic cartridges. Just ask questions rather than guess. That will save pulling a lot of ammo plus as you noted, components have gotten expensive.

We have seen a number of first time loader user with the Pro 1000 and I would say that Fyodor is one of our resident expert users so you are in good hands.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Poppop »

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy you reloading.
Look for a local dealer that carries FRONTIER Bullets. I pay $95.00 for 1,000. They are made in So. Africa.
http://www.frontierbullets.co.za yes that is the website address
They are 9mm CMJ Round Nose they come in different weights and calibers. Great for plinking and target.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

Welcome aboard from the State of Jefferson.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome from the silver state.

Xtreme bullets is just north of me and delivers both cast and plated . Last I looked at their price they were about $80/1000 cast and $105 plated .
Odds are good there is a bullet manufacturer close to you . And then it hits me like a truck ...... Missouri cast bullets might be in your backyard.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Welcome aboard !!!!
Je suis Charlie
Deadp007

Post by Deadp007 »

RBHarter, Missouri Cast Bullets is just over an hour away! I'll definitely order from them!!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! :D :D :D
r1200r

Post by r1200r »

Welcome from the Pine Tree State

Return to “Member Introductions”