Which Chronograph?

Lee Shooter and other programs for storing your reloading records.
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Progressive

Which Chronograph?

Post by Neted »

Ok, I'm hooked. I'm new to reloading. I've tried different loads to get to where the gun cycles properly, but i need more!!! I want to know if I'm achieving the proper velocity. The chronographs that are out there seem inexpensive enough. But what do I need? Printer? Remote control? Anything else? What brands? Where is best place to buy? DO I REALLY NEED THIS. I'd appreciate input from more experienced reloaders. Thanks Ed.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Which Chronograph?

Post by Fyodor »

I recently bought a used Alpha Master Chrony, which has been built into a wooden box with integrated lighting by the pre-owner. That stripped it from the extremely small frame, but makes it very accurate and independant from light contitions. But the device is quite complicated to use for the first time, because it only has one button and cryptic display readings. After that it's OK.

I would always prefer a solution like that. The common white plastic diffusors that come with most devices are very dependent on surrounding light, and don't work at all when your indoors and use energy-saving lightbulbs or neon lights because of flickering.

I have only heard bad things about the RCBS bullet shaped chronograph, many people complain about its short lifetime.

I don't know if they are available in the US, but the Mehl BMC 18 is one of the most accurate yet still somehow affordable chronographs on the marked. This and its bigger sibblings are also used by authorities and labs when extraordinary accuracy is critical.

A lot of reloaders don't own a chronograph and don't have access to one. If you pay attention to the common signs of over pressure, and get some guidance by an experiences reloader, you'll most probably stay alive for quite a while :lol:.

I bought mine because I'm a cowboy-Action-Shooter, and we have to reach a minimum "factor" with the ammo during competitions. Without a chronograph you can only guess if you're over or under that limit.

EDIT:
Pictures added, because without pics, it never happened. The red glow is the integrated red LED-lighting.

EDIT2:
The Mehl BMC18 is made by a German company, called KurzZeit (roughly translates to "ShortTime"). They also make high speed photography. Have a look on their website: http://www.kurzzeit.com and have a look on the video section. Great footage!
IMG_1378.jpeg
IMG_1379.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use the CED Millenium which has served me well for over a decade plus. Still have my Shooting Chrony F1 and use it for various projects. When I bought the CED, I thought about staying with the Shooting Chrony line but the screens didn't last well. Ended up cutting some strips out of a white jug and supporting them with threaded rod, they have stood the test of time.

I like the features of the CED but it is on the upper price range. It is nice to have everything stored in the "box" and download it into your shooting/reloading software. It interfaces with about any software package out there that offers this feature. With it I've learned to be sure I pay attention to the battery indicator and setup. If the battery symbol is flashing, change it or you will miss the shot. With setup, just make sure it is aligned and you are shooting across the center as it seems to have a narrow field. At least, narrower than the F1. It did measure a fly that flew through it yesterday while I was shooting. I saw the fly go through through the view in my scope and then saw the readout light up. 301 FPS!
Michael
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wscywabbit »

I have an F1 chrony that I bought a few years ago to aid in setting up my archery gear. I haven't used it for bullets yet but I'm confident it will do the job just fine.

Oh and at 301fps that fly was hauling %@*&$! Lol
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

wscywabbit wrote:I have an F1 chrony that I bought a few years ago to aid in setting up my archery gear. I haven't used it for bullets yet but I'm confident it will do the job just fine.

Oh and at 301fps that fly was hauling *! Lol
I thought so too so I Googled it right away and that was just patrolling. They can do better than twice that!
Michael
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

I went with the Chrony Gamma Master which includes the remote and printer. I'm still sorting through the directions to try and figure it out. Will let everyone know my thoughts once I've tried it.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

The display and menu of the shooting Chronys is a bit chryptic, but once you got it it's very easy to use.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

I hope so because reading the instructions it looks difficult. I like that it all fits into a pouch they sell so everything is in one place.
ROSW

Post by ROSW »

Ranch Dog wrote:.... It interfaces with about any software package out there that offers this feature. ...
Would mention a few of those software packages?

Return to “Record Keeping”