44 Mag rifle bullets

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

44 Mag rifle bullets

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My Henry Big Boy Steel shows a .431 groove diameter. Very few of the on-line casters size different than .430. I found one, GT Bullets, that will size .432. In theory that should work. Any body with experience with GT I'd like to hear.
I tried Penn and discovered that Bob passed and the company is currently shut down

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 44 Mag rifle bullets

Post by mr surveyor »

I didn't mention on the other site that the GT 44 mag bullet I favor is their LHP G/C 240 grain, sized .430. It works well in my R92.

One other thing I didn't mention is that I always tumble lube all the cast bullets I use, regardless of what lube comes on them from the maker. Just my usual mix of LLA and mineral spirits is used in an old screw top aluminum Coors can get used, then the wet bullets are stood up at attention on waxed paper to dry without rubbing shoulders. Over a few days of bits of spare time I'll tumble lube 500-1000 bullets to put up in plastic peanut cans for storage and use.

A couple of years ago the owner of LeadHead bullets died and I lost my then-favorite LeadHead 265 grain gas checked 44 mag bullet. Those were fantastic in my R92 and I couldn't find another commercial "micro-brewer" that made anything to compare to the style .... the GT bullet, even though lighter and hollow point style, turned out to give the same on paper performance - and a bit less expensive.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”