Curing the 30 Caliber Blues... Part II

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Curing the 30 Caliber Blues... Part II

Post by Ranch Dog »

Got my new cookie sheets today and did some more experimenting. I had been thinking about the oven output and decided if the spec says that it max temperature is 450° I would try to set it at MAX and not slightly off of MAX in an effort to modulate it. It worked very well. I would say that the overall temperature difference based on my thermometers being placed in different locations is less that 5° at MAX.

Still at 450°, my bullets start to deform or melt altogether. That tells me it is alloy, not temperature swings. I need more Pb (lead) to raise the melting point of the alloy. The bummer is that I am out 300 or so 30 caliber gas checks.

On to Part III in a couple of days.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Maybe your testing will reveal the answers to my questions too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Thanks for the update RD but losing 300 checks well that is hitting the ol pocket book hard.
Je suis Charlie
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

RD,

Found an article written by Larry Gibson over on another forum created by Goodsteel. Figured you might want to read it, as it relates very well to this topic:

http://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulletin.ne ... new-hv-age
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:RD,

Found an article written by Larry Gibson over on another forum created by Goodsteel. Figured you might want to read it, as it relates very well to this topic:

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems the discussion is focused on bullet stability not treating alloys. My bullet design software takes everything they are talking about, actually more, into account.

What I find interesting in these discussions is that they talk about the barrel (twist) curing their bullet flight problems rather than designing a bullet that works with the available twist. At least to me, just being a hog hunter, it is easier to design a bullet that works rather than rebarrel a rifle. I realize these guys are sorting some pretty fine hairs.

Towards the end I found the comments concerning what happens to the gas check shank and gas check at the shot and in flight quite interesting but these ornery guys don't seem to like others playing in their puddle. At high pressures and velocity, I do believe what he is saying happens.

I did like seeing that one poster had a Oehler pressure trace system. I wanted that system real bad along with the acoustical target module but the RSI system was more affordable. Looking at the screenshot, he doesn't have the acoustical target. 15 years ago it was $2500 but none of it is offered any more.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

DaveInGA wrote:RD,

LOL Larry Gibson and CBRick butted heads quit a bit on Cast Boolits. Larry hated the 45/45/10 system and would blame that lube before anything else. But to be fair Larry knows a lot about the subject he wrote about on Goodsteel's site. Plus he is the goto guy for cat sneeze loads.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did not get anywhere with the casting effort this week. My parents, who live on the ranch, are requiring more and more of my time. This week I'm recarpeting their home organizing the work and seeing it through as the carpet has been causing some problems for my dad's respiratory system. Monday through Wednesday was starting the project through purchase. Thursday through today the installation. In the process I moved a whole household of furniture out and probably won't have it back in until tomorrow.

I really goofed up shooting that hog earlier in the week as staying out and cutting it up really put me over the edge on the "tired" meter.

My parents are staying in our home and I just heard my mom saying that she wants all the blinds washed. My dad said he would just buy new ones but my mom didn't like that. Said to "bring them over here and Michael would do it." Oh hell no, I'm on the edge now!

I really don't think I will get back on track with casting in the coming week as the this week has put the tractor time way behind.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Looking over the list, I'm thinking it would be worth it to hire someone to handle most of that business. Mom sounds like she wants new blinds to go with the new carpet. If it were me, I'd be sure and help her get them. :o

Dad's forgive quickly, Moms, not so much, even if they don't say much. She deserves new blinds any ways.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DaveInGA wrote:Looking over the list, I'm thinking it would be worth it to hire someone to handle most of that business. Mom sounds like she wants new blinds to go with the new carpet. If it were me, I'd be sure and help her get them. :o

Dad's forgive quickly, Moms, not so much, even if they don't say much. She deserves new blinds any ways.
Haah! It is mom that wants the blinds cleaned. She has figured out by now that it isn't going to happen.
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:Haah! It is mom that wants the blinds cleaned. She has figured out by now that it isn't going to happen.
Uh oh, you are in trouble, fo sho. Can you just take her up to the fancy blind store and let the "pretty things" blind her, don't let her see the price, slip the sales lady a credit card and order a houseful installed before Mom sees it?

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”