What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:I picked up some new molds . I guess I'm subconsciously filling out the library before the big switch and move the first part of 18' .
!
Nice looking bullets! What is the reference to the "switch & move"?
Michael
barracudadave67
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by barracudadave67 »

I didn't do any casting, but I ordered a new mold for my 45/70, from Accurate Molds, 350 grain plain base bullet. Its mold # 46-350H. I plan on using it in my Marlins, and H & R Handi Rifle, may be for hunting. We shall see.
I have a few other Accurate molds, and I find they are real good quality, and I have no trouble with them.

barracudadave67
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Ranch Dog wrote:
RBHarter wrote:I picked up some new molds . I guess I'm subconsciously filling out the library before the big switch and move the first part of 18' .
!
In the 1st quarter of 18' we will be relocating to Mena Ar . Everything is going to change from time available to work to ........... Well there's just not a nice way to say swamp like weather . The disposable income is expected to be eliminated also .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
In the 1st quarter of 18' we will be relocating to Mena Ar . Everything is going to change from time available to work to ........... Well there's just not a nice way to say swamp like weather . The disposable income is expected to be eliminated also .
That is kind of what I thought you meant as you mentioned during your visit two years ago. Good for you guys and things have a way of working out.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is too wet to getting anything done outside so I decided to take care of some casting this morning; a mix of three bullets.
031317_01.jpg
Only cast about 50 of both the C309-113-F and 31-210-H. The 30 Carbine bullet is to evaluate its use in my carbine. If it doesn't work, It will give me an idea of what will for a custom order. The Accurate is to finish some testing with my Sporterized SMLE No. 5.

The TLC359-190-RF received most of my attention with a run of around 200 bullets. These are for inventory ammunition for my three 35 Remingtons (Marlin 336D, Rem 600, & Sav 170) plus my Rossi 92 357 Mag. These will end up being sized differently. The Rossi needs a .357" bullet, the Remington & Savage a .358, and the Marlin a .359" bullet.
031317_02.jpg
The alloy was the 60/40 mix I've started to use with all my rifles. 60% linotype and 40% wheel weights. I will work through the bullet very quickly as in about 4 days they will be sitting at 29 BHN. That BHN does eliminate an bunch of issues when you apply pressure and velocity to a cast bullet. Also cuts a heck of a hole though a hog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sizing and gas checks on all three; C309-113-F, 31-210H, and TLC359-190-RF. Lubed the 309-113-F & 31-210H bullets on the Lyman 4500 with White Label Lube's 2500+. Will do the same with the TLC359-190RF bullets today.

The 60/40 linotype/wheel weights is a tough alloy!
31_210H_BHN.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Nice hardness tester! Where did you get that?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Nice hardness tester! Where did you get that?
Thanks, it is from Lead Bullet Technologies.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

None.

But I corrected an issue I caused last month...

Turned on the pot without the PID to get it up to temp slowly to see if I could see bad alloy. Got distracted and like most 20-4 pots it leaked until it made a column up to the spout.

Took the mold rest off and got the giant drip art off.....decided to empty the pot and see if I can help its leakiness. It's empty. Not sure what to do next but I ain't gonna cast any bullets until it gets cold again in nine months anyway.

Not sure if that's progress. It's been a year since I cast in any bullets anyway.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I got the new 458193 , I'm still waiting on the new to me 457-340F 2C and 457-405 HB Lee's .
IMG_20170330_173114668.jpg
10 randomly pulled from 100 keepers , good​ lord it takes a long time with a single and a lot of metal too. They are supposed to be 405 gr , probably from #2 , but these run from the sample 414.2 to 415.1 . Which just tickles me silly for consistency !
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”