My pot is leaking

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My pot is leaking

Post by daboone »

Yep I understand that kind of leak. A toothpick can be used to plug it next time.

Another helpful thing to keep your pot clean is only put pre cleaned alloys in it. I have an old cast iron 6 qt Dutch oven pot and a turkey fryer for cleaning/smelting all the crud out my WW and scrap lead. Then cast ingots for use in the casting pot.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

daboone wrote: Another helpful thing to keep your pot clean is only put pre cleaned alloys in it. I have an old cast iron 6 qt Dutch oven pot and a turkey fryer for cleaning/smelting all the crud out my WW and scrap lead. Then cast ingots for use in the casting pot.
I didn't know I had two usernames. I'm joking but it's my way too. My cast iron Dutch oven may be 8 quarts but that matters not.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Okie44 wrote:Mine makes cool stuff. :D

Man, . I like that, hey, start a side business, Modern expressionism free form art.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Clutch80

Post by Clutch80 »

I've been fighting this same problem for quite a while and was just about to break down and order a new pot. Glad I thought to check in with some experts as this will save a chunk of money that I can use on other things. Thanks to everyone! :D
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I have two older Lee casting pots, one that I have had for a long time and the other was acquired within the last few years. The first one that I bought is a lot shorter under the spout than the "newer" one. The taller one has leaked more than the shorter one. It wasn't til recent that I had a separate smelting pot, I had always just used the Lee pot and cleared the spout whenever the leaking got really bad. The spatter with the shorter pot was not as big a problem as the taller pot because it didn't spatter as far because of the height difference. I and now to the point of cleaning both pots and lapping them both. For smelting, I use a little cast iron pot made by another company on top of an old Coleman white gas stove. Works really well. Gasoline works well in it but produces way more carbon monoxide than using white gas. Either way, those stoves should never be used indoors.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by jloader »

Spitter, spatter...
I've got the Lee Production Pot IV with spout at the bottom and that splashing of hot lead was getting to me...
Found a very simple solution... Put a small tin can underneath it with about 3/4 inch of... saw dust. This serves a few purposes:
1. Catches drips
2. Contains splashes
3. Saw dust prevents sticking and when re-introduced back to the pot - you've got your fluxing agent
4. With the right height of the can, you have a mold rest.

When there is some lead buildup in the can and the splashing occurs, just turn the can a bit to get to new spot.
Happy casting...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”