Vulcan Checks

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Vulcan Checks

Post by GasGuzzler »

CLICK HERE FOR WEBPAGE

Bought some in .30 cal for my .30-30 loads. They are oversized and won't crimp in place. The ID of their .010" thick (advertised not measured) cup is .283" but my bullets' bases are .280". I intend to give them a call and ask what's up.

I'm pretty sure this is the company I got some aluminum checks from off eBay a few years ago and had to give/throw them away because they wouldn't stay on.

Like the wise words of GWB.....Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Well we won't get fooled again.

(cue up The Who) +guns +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Vulcan Checks

Post by farmerjim »

I have used Gator checks with no problems. 22,30,38,45
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks. Couldn't find them in stock when I ordered from Vulcan.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a Hornady guy mainly because Gator has never been a consistent provider no matter who is marketing them.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Retailers that sell Hornady are usually out of stock or charge $.04 per check by the time you get them to your bench.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Go http://www.freechex.net/ and you will never run out again. :D I make Freechex for 8mm and .30 cal.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Retailers that sell Hornady are usually out of stock or charge $.04 per check by the time you get them to your bench.
I've never been able to get the all the sizes I needed when ordering the Gators.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Go http://www.freechex.net/ and you will never run out again. :D I make Freechex for 8mm and .30 cal.
That's one of the mundane tasks that would cause me to go back to jacketed bullets. I learned that from cutting wads during my round ball effort.

I think about that at times; sell all my lead, gas checks and molds. I could buy two lifetimes worth of jacketed bullets I suspect. But, that would take an effort on my part so it would probably never happen.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have considered one of the check makers, but instead just bought 2 lifetimes worth of the sizes that I use.
I don't shoot a lot of rifle bullets except for the 223, and I bought 5,000 checks, and 7,000 jacketed. If I run out, I can always shoot them in my Handi without checks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did the same thing, Jim, back when I started casting. I knew that I was going to shoot a lot of checked bullets as I wanted to duplicate jacketed bullet performance so I started buying gas checks on a schedule or when I bought anything else, I would at least buy a box as I figured the copper would never get cheaper. As I neared retirement, I even stepped it up trying to estimate what I would need to get me through my early '80s. I have 9K 30 caliber checks that cost me $9.98/box through a local gunshop. A couple of boxes every time I walked in the door. I have a lifetime of 22, 25, 30, 32, 35, 375, 41, 44, 45, and 475 checks and did it without really breaking the bank.

I also had another worry. In that I like Hornady checks it wouldn't surprise me if they were to get out of that endeavor given their move away from lead-free projectiles. As far as I know, they have one machine that sits there cranking them out around the clock, a truck driver I know has delivered quite a bit of copper to it. I suspect that when that machine gives up the ghost, they will not replace it. I can speculate a bit on this as before closing my mold business I worked on a business plan that examined how I could grow the business (or get out). Besides the CNC lathes for the molds, I spec'd a machine similar to what Hornady was operating, and it was a ¼ million dollars without the dies. That machine would need to operate around the clock more years than I have left to turn a profit.

I know this isn't helping anybody that needs checks now but the bottom-line is that there is no time like now to get started.
Michael

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”