Powder coating

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Powder coating

Post by reloader762 »

HF powders use a Epoxy based resin while powders like Eastwood and those sold by Smokes and others companies use a polymer based resin. The HF powder do spray on well using a electrostatic gun but are lacking using the TL process. I used the HF Red & Yellow for a few months but gave up and went with Smokes and Eastwood powers an have never looked back. I've heard through the grapevine that the HF Red & Yellow are no longer being sold by HF and I can find none locally on the shelf or on their website.

As far as gas checks I have no issues with the powders I use install gas checks after coating when they are needed, if anything I have trouble getting the check to stay on the base to get it over to the sizing die. Only cast handgun bullets that use a softer alloy usually for expansion purposes that can't withstand the loads velocity and pressure will get checked otherwise I just leave them off for everyday shooting purposes. I shoot a NOE clone of the Lyman 358156 HP bullet in my 38 special +P loads with the check left off and they shoot very accurately with no leading using plain old Alox TL but I PC them now. The recovered 38 is on the right and the 357 Mag. bullet is on the left.

About the only thing I do differently that the instructions RD posted above is I don't dump my bullets on a screen and shake off the excess powder. I pretty much figured out how much powder I need to add to my container along with the bullets and BB's or Pony Beads to get the amount of coating I like. I then use a large pair of tweezers to stand each bullet up on the base, it's a little more labor but while my oven is heating up I can do the first tray easily and while the first tray is curing I will have the next one finished in half the time it takes to cure the first. All the remaining powder which isn't much is left in the container and all I have to do is add a bit more to coat more bullets.

Lee 170 gr. FN coated with Smokes Clear. Found one of my 45's in there I missed last time I coated.

Placing them on the tray.

In the oven curing about ready to come out and quench.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Powder coating

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

My Process is almost identical to yours. I now use a silicone mini ice cube tray for my Lee 150 F bullets because the base is so small and easily falls over. The silicone tray holds the bullets upright and can be baked in the oven. It smoked a lot the first time and seems to smoke a little until it is 'seasoned', but works great. I use non stick foil on small pans for all the other bullets and it works great. The tweezers and a little tap on the side of the container if needed and they are ready to cook.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”