Reloading Lead bullets

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
beekeeper

Reloading Lead bullets

Post by beekeeper »

Sounds stupid doesn't it.
The longer I do it the more confused I sometimes get.
I do not shoot jacketed at all and the trials and tribulations of getting a cast bullet to shoot anywhere normal out of some of the junk I have is frustrating.
Right now I am trying to figure out the best (if there is one) bullet and powder charge for a 24/47 Mauser.
Have tried just about everything in my enventory and still can not get past 200 yards with any accuracy.

At 200 yards I can get 2inches but beyond that I might as well be shot from a shotgun as there would probably be a better pattern.

Am using a BRP 200 grain and a NOE 215 grain bullet 2 1/2 Thousanths over grove with several powders, anywhere from minimum to maximum and still get the dispersal.

Have a second Mauser 98( don't know the model) that will shoot just about anything you feed it.
Just do not understand the diference!
Nan help appreciated.

beekeeper
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Reloading Lead bullets

Post by Missionary »

Howdy beekeeper
Biggest issue I know of is a fat enough bullet.
If my rifle's throat (not bore which is always smaller) but that area between cartrige neck and 1st quarter inch of rifling. If that let's say has a .327 diameter I am going to try to load a .329 diameter lead bullet.
I am also going to seat that bullet as close to that rifling or even 'bumping " the rifling if the magazine will let me.
If you are trying to get 2700 fps you are pushing the limits. So some questions..
Is this a gas check bullet?
What lead mix is this bullet ?
Are the grease grooves large enough to carry enough "good" lube ?
What is the barrel condition ?
What is the muzzle condition ?

If you have never gone to Castboolits/Reloads and read up on shooting lead you can benefit a bunch. Sort of the basic and advanced courses what we all need to know to get the most enjoyment out of pouring our own.
Mike in Peru
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

The rifling twist on a 24/47 Mauser should be 1 in 9.4".

Theoretically that should be adequate to stabilize the 1.288" long bullet you're shooting, provided the muzzle velocity is at least 1,100 fps. But given that the .325 caliber 216 gr NOE is also a very pointy bullet it may need a bit more than the minimum compared to a round nosed bullet. Also, it may simply be a case of the round being only marginally stable and working well to 200 yards, but then losing stability at longer ranges.

You have not mentioned muzzle velocity, so it's hard to make any conclusions there, but if you are launching them at slow velocities, pushing the velocity up to 2000-2200 fps or so should give you an ample margin of stability.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Lets see if I can give as much info as I can

The bullets are gas checked and lubed with "Bens Red Lube"
I have slugged the bore and the BRP and NOE bullets are 3 thousanth over groove.
I have not chronyed them but should have a book velocity of 1900 + -.
The lead mix is 60/40 Clip on w/w/ pure lead.
Do not know the hardness as I do not have a tester. they mix works very well in all of my other guns.
The bullet is seated 15 thousanths off of the lands.
The barrel is about NRA 80% , shiney bore with excellant lands and Grooves.
The muzzle altho shiny is good with no marks or dings.

beekeeper
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

That's a head scratcher.

The good to 200 yards then shoots a pattern thing suggests a stability problem, but the load you describe should be fine.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are you getting any leading in the bore? That does not sound like a hard enough bullet alloy. I have to use at a minimum a Lyman #2 alloy and that have to be water dropped to get that just that little bit harder. You could try a thin film of tumble lube over the regular lube. I also have a 24/47 but I haven't found that magic combo for it either.
prsman23
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by prsman23 »

What are they sized to? What does your bore mic at?
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Howdy beekeeper
You have stumbled into one of those "whatevers".
Probably something real simple.
Run a tight patch down the barrel and see if there are any loose spots. Maybe even a tight spot that would resize the bullet before it gets to the muzzle.
Is the muzzle square ? In good shape ? Is the muzzle wallowed open from cleaning rods ?
Is the action tight in the stock ?
Are the sights tight on the barrel ?
With a round chambered , is the bolt snug in the receiver ?
Is the barrel tight on the receiver ? I had a 45-70 with a barrel that was loose in the threads.
OK I am played out !
Mike in Peru
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Last thing I can think of is don't try to push them too fast. You just aren't going to be able to push a lead bullet the same way you can a jacketed bullet if that is what you are trying to do. Some of the best accuracy I've gotten from a rifle shooting cast was super slow with 2400 and Trail Boss. Try as I might I cannot get the same accuracy with any rifle powders though.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Upped the powder charge 2 grains and it has started to come around.
Will find out more on next range trip.

Shooting partner seems to think I need to be in the 2100 fps range to get the bullet to stabilize out of the 24/47 and I am starting to believe him.

Will let you know the results.

beekeeper

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”