Reloading Lead bullets

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Reloading Lead bullets

Post by RBHarter »

Bee,
I recognize you from CB and the NCBS.

I have had an expience w/1 that just wouldn't settle ,bear w/me apple-n-oranges but all friut.
I shoot 1 alloy for all but 1 of my pistol cartridges 25/75 WW/1-20 water dropped 9mm,357,38,45 Colts/ACP or 50/50 AC. Neither would shoot in a 40 S&W it takes WDWW 50/50 even AC straight ww tumbles and it takes a all but a max load to get it.

I also have a long 30cal boolit that just seems to hit thresh holds w/each powder in 2 rifles that will shoot it. Slower powders will shoot faster and allow the long range stability , I also had to harden the boolits to get to the minimum level that I needed .

Lastly I wonder if you are loosing checks down range or if there is some defect or the dreaded land/groove finning/strniging or whatever the term is for dragging the swaged threads past the base of the boolit and or inconsistant loss of those threads.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

RB Harter,
You are the 3rd person to mention they had met me at the NCBS.
Have never been there but have wanted to go a couple of times.
Wifes health stops me from going anywhere for more than a couple of hours.
Must be some other beekeeper.
Would like to meet him and swap stories.
I no longer post on Cast Boolits but that is another story and not for publication.

beekeeper
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

beekeeper wrote:I no longer post on Cast Boolits but that is another story and not for publication.

beekeeper

It can get rough over there a lot and that is why when I do post I cross my Ts and dot my i before asking a question. +of

My comment not your's beekeeper.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I was mistaken he's Nv Beekeeper. The NCBS is a great weekend I've been to the last 3 . We did a Sunday potluck BBQ at the range (actually the Winnemucca shooting sports park complete w/traps, archery pits , pistol pits,concrete and steel tables and a club house). Its been the weekend before Memorial Day but due to a change of organizers will be moved into the 1st weekend of May or June.

On CB I've found that 1 must be deliberate and specific about the question or ask it in a what if I wanted to context. Detailing what you've already tried ,done and tweeked never hurts. I can't tell you how many people are chased off by the too famous read the stickies then come ask. That irritated me but I guess I'm pretty stubborn. It turned out that the case in case had an actual issue but I had to eliminate every other possibility to fix it.

W/o CB I don't think I'd be shooting cast in rifles let alone in the 40 cal. I just had no sources beyond the Lyman Loading manual which is pretty over complicated and yet vague.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

RBHarter it seams like every forum I have belonged to in the past 15 years have people that always say "Read the F****** Manuel" and Linux forums are the worst. Nothing worse than a far left tree hugging computer geek. Gun forums are tame compared to those guys.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Thats probably why I avoid those places . I've been on a couple of Ford forums where the resident expert couldn't answer the basic then treated me like i was the tard for asking . Just incase you never wanted to know all of the Ranger ,Explorer, Bronco II,and non Mitsu Mazda and Merc counter parts have Dana 25 front axles and are the same parts. The SUV bodies and light trucks have 8.8 rearends since 1986 and share guts but not housings .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

The worst forum I have ever been on is the ZCart forum. That is the public license shopping cart software that ran my store and the admin, moderators, and members are vicious little geeks that hide behind the anonymity of the internet. You don't dare ask a question as a novice. PHPbb, this forum's software, is better but still has that geek mentality that "you cannot possibly think and operate on my level so; hence, shame on you for asking the question."
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I know exactly what you are talking about RD I got the same attitude on on the Linux forums. That never stopped me from using Linux thou.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”