I did a little side by side casting.

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

I did a little side by side casting.

Post by RBHarter »

It's not big news to do a little casting or even to cast several moulds in 1 session.
I had cause to cast some 45s,38s,25sand 30s.
To be fair the weights are close except for the 45s .
All 4 were aluminum and 4 or 6 cavity.
I was pleasantly surprised with the new NOE 260-120 as no mould ever seems to deliver 100% it's 1st time out of the box and being a mixed plain base and GC may have added to the learning curve. Anyway I ran about 3 lbs into it and got about 50% mostly from the PB cavities, I think it has a little oil in the GCs. A few times it needed a bump but mostly all the bullets dropped out freely.
Next up a 358-125 RNFP Lee 6C I had operator error but it worked well dropping about 90% the 2 middle cavities took turns being feisty but smoothed out running about 3.5 lbs of good bullets.
The NOE 301618 paper patch was next up . I love this mould outside of getting it on the handles backwards with the sprue plate back at the handles. This is about the 4th outting on this 172 gr mould. It has always been a little fussy about dropping the cavity next to the sprue hinge bolt. I started off a little too hot for 95% overall.
The last is a preowned Lee 452-255 RNFP and my 1st outting with it and it poured 6/6 except when I missed the last hole. I had a little sprue lube escape on to the sprue hinge cavity so that 1 catered a few bases. Had I not had drop dings that would have been close to 98%.

Over all a great run of 15# metal for 12# of keepers and having the moulds up to speed it seems that the Lee moulds pour just as well as the more expensive moulds.

Bugs after pouring side by side ? Well the 358-125 has chatter marks. I'm sure the 452-255 has had some massage. The NOE ,oh how I wish the had 3rd handle on those 4 and 5 cavities.

It was great to get another 500 bullets knocked out too. Oh and a little bonus this 6C 452-255 has a little more meplat than the old style 2C that it replaced .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: I did a little side by side casting.

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:The NOE ,oh how I wish the had 3rd handle on those 4 and 5 cavities.
I have three molds coming, I didn't think of that! How do you crack them open?
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: I did a little side by side casting.

Post by RBHarter »

If you cast in heavy gloves most of the time the sprue can be cut by hand . I use a piece of broom handle about 8" to "knock the plate". I'm still getting a feel for all of the various styles of plates. The heavy gloves just don't work for me,I've tried several types of gloves but that gets expensive when you wreck a pair that fit,feel and protect.
I'm sure the NOE plate could be modified for a cutting lever ,but at this point what I'm doing is working well enough and doing no obvious damage .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”