45 acp recipe needed

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
btoran
My Press Choice: Turret

45 acp recipe needed

Post by btoran »

does anyone have a 45 acp recipe for paper punching out to 50 yards? type of bullet too, please. and aquestion.... is the factory crimp die needed, especially for fairly light, target loads? thanks.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 45 acp recipe needed

Post by 62chevy »

I use the Lee 452-200-RF with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and have shot orange clays at 50 yards with a Hi-point 45. Hit 'em too and the misses where only a couple of inches. But that is the bottom load for my pistol. I'm out of Bullseye so on to TiteGroup after I shoot what whats left.
Je suis Charlie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

btoran wrote:is the factory crimp die needed...?
I would not buy the FCD for rim-spaced autos but that's me.
62chevy wrote:I use the Lee 452-200-RF with 3.5 grains of Bullseye
Dang...that's light. I'm surpirsed it'll cycle. My pet 9mm load is 4.8 gr Bullseye. It's good to get people's light auto loads though because they're economical.

+guns +guns +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
btoran

Post by btoran »

would there be a difference in needing the factory crimp die if using a 1911 vs hipoint carbine?
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

btoran wrote:would there be a difference in needing the factory crimp die if using a 1911 vs hipoint carbine?
The Lee FCD brings a completed cartridge back into SAAMI spec plus I use it to remove the flair the powder through die puts on the case. When done it should chamber in any gun and not just a Hi-Point. I mentioned my Hi-Point so folks would know that 3.5 grains of Bullseye may not work in other 45s plus it does not beat a cheap gun to death.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I like 5.0 gr of Unique with a 45-200 SWC ,230 gr RN and with long seated 255 gr SWC in a revolver. It functions a High Point carbine also.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Almost any self loader is going to need some crimp to keep the bullet in place as the cartridge slams its way through the cycle and keep in mind that you don't want to roll crimp the 45 ACP or any case that head spaces on the case mouth. As I understand the Lee literature the FCD that they supply for those cases applies the correct crimp. I myself use RCBS taper crimp dies on all my auto loader cases, but that's just my own personal preference. I also taper crimp most of my straight wall cases. Fewer mouth splits that way.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Here are a couple of loadings that work well in the fleet of 1911's we have. Again all the usual cautions to work up in you own guns.

200 gr Berry Plated HP, 7.6gr True Blue, any old case and a Winchester LP to light it.

200 gr cast SWC from a local commercial caster, same case powder charge and primer. You may need to play with OAL to get it cooperate with your 1911.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Correctly adjust your seating and crimping dies and there is no need for an FCD. I'm one of those that do not "crimp" my semi-auto ammo. I just remove any flare in the case mouth with a taper crimp die; "de-flare". Neck tension of correctly sized brass and bullets will hold the bullets in place.

I use a 200 gr. SWC (H&G 68 clone) with any "normal" 45 ACP powder, quite often Unique (I do not recommend forum load data, use a published reloading manual or powder mfg. website).
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I don't like seating and crimping at the same time, setup is a PITA and the brass needs to be the same length for best results. With the FCD none of that matters. Just my 2 cents.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Handgun Reloading”