Cheap man's Wad-cutter - fail

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
jloader
My Press Choice: Progressive

Cheap man's Wad-cutter - fail

Post by jloader »

Here's a bright idea :idea: - not!

The setup is for S&W 38 SPL.
So, I've read in a few places on Internet (the source of all truth :roll: ), that you could just press your Round-nose bullet backwards (round side into the casing) to get a nice wad cutter bullet. Just watch not to compress the powder, but that was no issue since I'm using TiteGroup (3.2 grn)

Being the wiser, I've loaded a batch of just 20 of those using minimum powder load. And they looked right too.
Took them to the range and gave them some fire at 10 yards...
I never claim to be a great shot, but out of those 20, about 10 landed somewhere on the 8.5x11 sheet.

On the bright side, they did make a nice round holes...

I was skeptical to start with, especially with the base of the bullet being now round - what happens to the distribution of pressure in the case? It is no longer downwards towards the base of the case, but instead spread around the walls. I think I'm onto something here - one of the cases split at the top.

That made my decision to purchase Lee SWC mold much easier...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheap man's Wad-cutter - fail

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've read it but never had the need to try it. You saved me the trouble should the need ever arise.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I have also seen this on the internet. Thank you for trying it, now I don't have to. Why the SWC and not the full wad cutter?
jloader

Post by jloader »

Why SWC instead of WC? Want to go with lighter bullet, Lee has WC at 158 grn and SWC at 105 grn. My hope is that the lighter projectile will have lesser kick - I'm using S&W J-frame revolver. With 158 grn bullet the wrist starts to hurt after 50 rounds affecting the accuracy; after 100 it's quite painful. OK, so I'm a wimp.
I'm looking at 3.0-3.2 grn of TiteGroup powder to start with.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

jloader wrote:Why SWC instead of WC? Want to go with lighter bullet, Lee has WC at 158 grn and SWC at 105 grn. My hope is that the lighter projectile will have lesser kick - I'm using S&W J-frame revolver. With 158 grn bullet the wrist starts to hurt after 50 rounds affecting the accuracy; after 100 it's quite painful. OK, so I'm a wimp.

are you sure about those dropped bullet weights from the Lee molds?

just asking.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

jloader wrote:Why SWC instead of WC? Want to go with lighter bullet, Lee has WC at 158 grn and SWC at 105 grn. My hope is that the lighter projectile will have lesser kick - I'm using S&W J-frame revolver. With 158 grn bullet the wrist starts to hurt after 50 rounds affecting the accuracy; after 100 it's quite painful. OK, so I'm a wimp.

A lighter projectile will need more powder . Wouldn't that be more kick? I also have a J frame 3" bbl and shoot it S/A using 158 gr SWC - Bullseye Powder in low 3 gr area and doesn't hurt at all PLUS better accuracy. Try it
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Poppop wrote:

A lighter projectile will need more powder . Wouldn't that be more kick? I also have a J frame 3" bbl and shoot it S/A using 158 gr SWC - Bullseye Powder in low 3 gr area and doesn't hurt at all PLUS better accuracy. Try it
This^

Also a 125 gr with a little more Bullseye also works well, no kick from my snubby M88.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

A grain or two of powder hardly maters in the scheme of things recoil wise it's the extra velocity that may even things out. Sometimes changing the grip will make all the difference in the world as to felt recoil. I've long been a fan of Pachmeyer DeCelerators particularly on the boomers.

Make smoke, comfortably,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'll never put something so ugly as aftermarket pistol grips on. To each his own.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Poppop wrote:

No a lighter bullet will give you less kick. I was using a 160 grain Lee 452-160-RF with very little recoil that even my Wife would shoot it. after going with the Lee 452-200-RF and less powder the recoil went up. I was able to drop the charge of Bullseye by 1.4 grains. Guess it takes more energy to get the heavier bullet moving.

Oh and the Wife refuses to shoot it now.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Handgun Reloading”