Accuracy

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Hoosier21
My Press Choice: Turret

Accuracy

Post by Hoosier21 »

I just started reloading this year, and up to this point have had very little issues. I'm a member of our church security team, and passed the Fed Air Marshal Tactical Pistol Course a couple weeks ago using my loads. I scored a 144 out of 150. I say that to show that up to this point, accuracy has not been an issue. I use 124gr Xtreme plated bullets, and HP38 powder.

My instructor stated he thought my loads sounded a bit soft. So I increased them from 4.1 to 4.4, with an OAL of 1.155ish. (My OAL with my 4 hole classic varies a few thousands each side of the 1.155.) Last night using the 4.4 loads my accuracy dropped dramatically. At several distances my shots were 2" low and left of my sights. Could that small amount of increase in powder make that dramatic of a difference?
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Accuracy

Post by Steve »

Is the group still the same size?
Hoosier21

Post by Hoosier21 »

Groups were a bit larger than normal. I'm kicking myself for not switching ammo and finding out if it was me or the ammo.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Not unusual at all for those results. With the info you provided I'm assuming you're shooting 9mm Luger. My manuals tell me the 4.4gr. load is right at max with HP38/W231 with a start load of 3.9 so with only a half grain difference between start and do not exceed, (this is one of the things I really dislike about loading for the 9mm), I doubt that a 4.1gr. load is "soft" as it's right in the middle. In such a small case as the 9mm three tenths of a grain (4.1-4.4) of powder "could" make a quite a difference in accuracy and POI especially when getting into the max load range. If you want a bit more "oomph" to your loads there are several powders that will get you there more easily. Accuracy ALWAYS trumps velocity. The reloading holy grail is getting both at the same time..... :mrgreen:
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm not surprised with your results. My introduction to reloading came with a Browning High Power. I used a good bit of W231 back in those days and always found it a bit finicky. A tenth of a grain either way seems to make a big difference and as one of the guys noted the tight spread between min and max can make it tough to nail down a load.

Fast forward almost 50 years and the new challenge is the 380 ACP fortunately a larger choice of powders today than I had back in '67.

If you were happy and comfortable with your original load I'd stick with it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Hoosier21

Post by Hoosier21 »

Yes 9mm, forgot to throw that in. I'll finish up the HP38 at 4.1. I also have some Titegroup that performed well. Any suggestions as to the next powder I try? I've ran the 4.1 through both my SR9c and LC9s, and had zero complaints with either, both were very accurate.

On another note, I had the opportunity to shoot the Ruger American 9mm last night. I really liked it. It has a great trigger, and none of the added "stuff" that the SR9c has. Although I can control the SR just a tad better. Also have a G19 on my radar. Decisions, decisions.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My P95 likes 4.9 Bullseye with 115s. I can't remember the length but it's longer than book. It's written down in my ledger.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I'm using HP-38 also for 9mm--124 gr CMJ (same as FMJ) My best load is 3.9 gr next is 4.3 gr both just short of 1.15" and slight crimp. I also have very good luck with Bullseye @ 3.6 gr.
HP-38 3.9 gr will get me 1" groups at 7yds and low recoil
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Hoosier21 wrote:Yes 9mm, forgot to throw that in. I'll finish up the HP38 at 4.1. I also have some Titegroup that performed well. Any suggestions as to the next powder I try? I've ran the 4.1 through both my SR9c and LC9s, and had zero complaints with either, both were very accurate.

On another note, I had the opportunity to shoot the Ruger American 9mm last night. I really liked it. It has a great trigger, and none of the added "stuff" that the SR9c has. Although I can control the SR just a tad better. Also have a G19 on my radar. Decisions, decisions.....
You might take a look at Hodgdon CFE Pistol I show a load over on Load Data for a 124gr Berry's plated starting at 4.9 and topping out at 5.3 check Hodgdon's web site for more info. I read good things about the CFE powders and if I get some of the stuff I've got used up I'm going to try both the pistol and rifle.

I could go for the American, but like their version of the 1911 a tad better and I've never been a fan of the tactical Tupperware.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

As an addendum to my last you may want to take a look at Western Powder I found an extract from their Edition 5 - 2013 load book that shows 158 loads for 124 gr bullets alone. I didn't look for other weights.

Make smoke,

Return to “Handgun Reloading”