.40 reloading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
flip1921
My Press Choice: Progressive

.40 reloading

Post by flip1921 »

Ok - I'm a newbie and have ben reloading 9mm for 8-9 months(Pro 1000) and now I'm ready to start 40 S&W. Not really sure which auto disc for starters; but I think disc A and hole 40? any help and/or comments wil be greatly appreciated. Oops - using 165 grain round nose....
Thanks,
flip
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: .40 reloading

Post by GasGuzzler »

flip1921 wrote:Ok - I'm a newbie and have ben reloading 9mm for 8-9 months(Pro 1000) and now I'm ready to start 40 S&W. Not really sure which auto disc for starters; but I think disc A and hole 40? any help and/or comments wil be greatly appreciated. Oops - using 165 grain round nose....
Thanks,
flip
More info and research needed. The powder makes a big difference.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah flip, it is entirely dependent on the load data for the particular bullet and powder. The cavity is chosen by math or from a chart.

The instructions for all the Lee volume measures have a chart of powders against the cavities that reflect what charge should be expected and Lee' Modern Loading has a disk selection for the loading data. All of this is based on the Volume Measured Density of a powder, with these mentioned references using an estimate for the powder. I have always determined the exact VMD for a jug or bottle of powder and used that number with the simple math to determine the disk cavity that I will use.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

And always ,always , always check it against a scale .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

RBHarter wrote:And always ,always , always check it against a scale .
+1 +1 +1 +1

Make smoke, not shrapnel,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
flip1921

Post by flip1921 »

Thanks gentlemen - I check the 9mm by scale and will continue with every caliber. My son-in-law is the number cruncher and ran the formulas for the 9mm. I have the Lee Modern Reloading book and study it. Is there any other publications you would recommend?
Thanks again!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

RBHarter wrote:And always ,always , always check it against a scale .

Gospel truth right there !!!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

flip1921 wrote:Thanks gentlemen - I check the 9mm by scale and will continue with every caliber. My son-in-law is the number cruncher and ran the formulas for the 9mm. I have the Lee Modern Reloading book and study it. Is there any other publications you would recommend?
Thanks again!
The Lyman manual is good and if you use Hodgdon powders their annual magazine/manual is almost a must as it's updated every year.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'll second the Lyman as well .
Any extra books are good though whether from powder or bullet makers , preferably of those your using . On line maker sources are available also ,and of course apps for your phone and pad are available .

Always check 2 sources ! Typos happen . I've seen data for the same components start a grain higher and max out a grain lower .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

What bullets are you using? If Speer, then I would recommend a Speer Manual, if Hornady then a Hornady manual. Each manual that I have read has some tidbit of information that the others don't. I started with Speer bullets so I generally gravitate toward those. Within the last year or so I purchased 2 books, the Lee book and the Hornady (9th edition). The Hornady book has a section in "Reloading and Bullet Accuracy" called "Firing the Cartridge". After reading a couple paragraphs in the store I had to buy the book. It goes into great detail about bullet seating and pressures. How seating a bullet too close to the lands can cause a safe round to be dangerous because of high pressure.
Most reloading manuals have detailed step by step instructions on the process. This includes common mistakes, things to watch for and what to do if things don't go right.
As others have said, having a few manuals for reference is a good thing.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”