Stuck case

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Horseturd
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Stuck case

Post by Horseturd »

I'm using Lee carbide 9mm dies in a dillon press. About every 20-25 rounds one gets stuck in the die. If I use some lube on a case occasionally I can prevent it from happening. I bought the carbide die so I wouldn't have to lube. Never had this happen with any other Lee carbide dies in the past. Anyone else have this issue?
HankRearden
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Stuck case

Post by HankRearden »

Once. I had the wrong shellholder. I do still lube a case when they start feeling hard through the die. About every 50 cases or so.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseturd wrote:I'm using Lee carbide 9mm dies in a dillon press. About every 20-25 rounds one gets stuck in the die. If I use some lube on a case occasionally I can prevent it from happening. I bought the carbide die so I wouldn't have to lube. Never had this happen with any other Lee carbide dies in the past. Anyone else have this issue?
Yeah, it is a problem with the tapered case of the 9mm Luger, and I suspect the 30 Carbine (which I have yet to run on the Load-Master). With my switch to the Load-Master and using wet rotary tumbling, I've added Turtle's Zip Wash & Wax to the rinse solution. Cases are slicker than snail snot.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I have run thousands of 9mm thru my Lee dies without a problem. I do clean the dies ever so often with Hornaday One Shot. Try it.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Poppop wrote:I have run thousands of 9mm thru my Lee dies without a problem. I do clean the dies ever so often with Hornaday One Shot. Try it.
I have to agree, I loaded strictly handgun for over 50 years, & all I did was keep the dies
"relatively" clean, I also agree with RD, that wash & wax is better than owl snot on a door knob.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

9MM cases are a bear to resize. I always give them a quick spray of Hornady One Shot, let them "dry" for 15 minutes or so and then size them. I also use a "wash and wax" cleaner in the wet tumbler and it also helps, but I still "squirt" em'....
Horseturd
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Horseturd »

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have run 30 carbine and 45ACP on lee carbide years ago and never had a problem. This 9mm die is brand new, so that is why I questioned the issue.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

5.56 is all I've ever had trouble sticking. Part my fault, part using 1X Fiocchi brass.

Junk
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”