Magnum cartridge in Special revolver

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Magnum cartridge in Special revolver

Post by mikld »

Yes you can load "Special" loads in "Magnum" brass. The difference will be a lower velocity than that listed in the "Special" data due to a larger case. I have quite successful loaded 38 Special loads in .357 Magnum brass, and many, many more .44 Special loads in .44 Magnum brass (I have loaded 123 gr. balls with a dusting of BUllseye up to 310 gr. T-Rex killers in my .44 Magnums). No need to worry about OAL, just crimp into the crimp groove or cannalure. Keep with "Special" loads and there will be no problems...
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Magnum cartridge in Special revolver

Post by cj8281 »

As far as carbines go, I shoot 38 spl in my Marlin. No target loads though. You don't want to have to pound out a stuck bullet. I usually load mine a bit on the hot side, definitely +P range. In my Speer Manual (#13), at the bottom of page 517 it states in bold "THESE JACKETED BULLET LOADS MUST NOT BE USED IN RIFLES." I usually use my #11 Speer manual for loading 38 spl. I have a theory on why they dropped the pressure down when they went to PSI and away from CUP standard but that is a topic for another day.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”