45 Colt Discussion

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 45 Colt Discussion

Post by GRV01 »

This isnt helpful in anyway but i just wanna say i cant wait to start reloading for this cartridge. Got a Ruger Redhawk and a Marlin 1894 on my wishlist
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

GRV01 wrote:This isnt helpful in anyway but i just wanna say i cant wait to start reloading for this cartridge. Got a Ruger Redhawk and a Marlin 1894 on my wishlist
This is one of the big issues loading for the 45 Colt. The firearms vary from a standard revolvers to rifles to revolvers built for heavy magnum calibres. The SAAMI maximum of 14,000 which applies to standard revolvers like my Uberti clone is more than doubled in Ruger and TC guns. An example is IMR 4227 and 225 grain bullets. The starting load is 20.6 grains for 20,200 PSI. THIS WOULD REPRESENT A 44% OVER MAX IN A STANDARD REVOLVER. The max load is 25.7 which at 30,400 psi is a whopping 117% overload.

I am leaning toward a lead or plated bullet in the 250-300 grain range, probably a RNFP. I would like to use a mid-speed pistol powder but choices are limited by the lack of data and availability. This goal is a close to POA load for paper punching and knocking over poppers and plates. Maximum range is 50 meters but mostly will be 25 or less.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Same here with the Uberti and the Ruger BH. I label my Traditional Loads as SAA so I know they are the only ones for the clone.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

I think you will like the Unique loads, Alliant lists the max with the 250gr LSWC at 9.5 grain. I think something in the 8.5 to 8.8 range will be to your liking. @ 9.5 grains they show 941fps out of a 5.5 inch barrel.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

GRV01 wrote:This isnt helpful in anyway but i just wanna say i cant wait to start reloading for this cartridge. Got a Ruger Redhawk and a Marlin 1894 on my wishlist
+of Me too. I am looking for an original full size Vaquero in CCH finish with a 5.5" barrel. After that I'd take another Rossi R92. I've had .45C dies (new no less) for a couple years and I even have brass. The rifle will be easy to find. The revolver not so much....I don't buy guns over the internet unless it's FTF private sale. +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
lrrice
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by lrrice »

I have a Colt clone so I have to stay in the moderate loads. I use about 7.5 g (don't have the exact number here) load of unique and a lee 452-255-RF cast out of backstop lead. They shoot great and recoil is not heavy.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My 45 Colts are a Ruger Convertible and the Rossi '92 so my loads will no doubt be a bit hot for a SAA clone. My just for fun loads in both are anything cast from 200 grains to 255. I mostly use a 200 gr RNFP from a local commercial caster with pretty close to a max load of Trail Boss. If I feel a little ornery I might stuff them with either Blackhorn 209 or 2Fg black.

For hunting right now I shooting the Lee 452300 gas checked RNFP with my alloy lubed and ready to shoot it goes right at 320 grains. With fairly stiff loads of H110 it will shoot into 4" or less (depending on me) out of the Rossi at 50 yards and about 6" out of the Ruger (5" brl). Neither load is the kind you want to spend all day shooting, but they'll do the job when needed.

I hope to work some with the Hornady XTPs this summer.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

As bad as I hate to brag on jacketed bullets, the HNDY XTP's are probably the most accurate bullets I load in .44 mag. Actually, they really aren't a whole lot more expensive than the commercial cast bullets I buy, but for some reason the cast bullets just seem to have more appeal. May be an age thing ;)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

cj8281 wrote:I think you will like the Unique loads, Alliant lists the max with the 250gr LSWC at 9.5 grain. I think something in the 8.5 to 8.8 range will be to your liking. @ 9.5 grains they show 941fps out of a 5.5 inch barrel.
Totally agree with this!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

if any of you are looking for an easy accurate 45 Colt mold, let me know. Have one for sale (posted elsewhere, so would need to remove it). It is a Lee 452-252. Has served me very well in 2 45 Colts. Also have a Lee 200 RNFP never used, same as above. Let me know.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”