38 Special powder coated 124 grain need load

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

38 Special powder coated 124 grain need load

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I am finding very little data for 124 grain round nose bullet powder coated lead. I've looked in both the Lee and Lyman manuals. . For that weight bullet I find a limited number of loads and all reference. Vittavertte powder. I find quite a few loads for a 125 grain.

Powders that I have on hand and believer suitable are Winchester 231 titegroup and unique. Any suggestions?
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 38 Special powder coated 124 grain need load

Post by Macd »

Whenever I can't find a powder listed in a specific weight of bullet I use the next greater bullet weight as a start if that powder is listed for that weight. Use seating depth for the original bullet. If you go to the Hodgdon reloading site you will find three loads for a 125 grain bullet. Choose the closest to your bullet type and shape and start at the starting load. The Lee book is a good reference but the most up to date information can be found on the powder manufacturers' sites. Bullet makers often provide loading data but not necessarily.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Macd wrote:Whenever I can't find a powder listed in a specific weight of bullet I use the next greater bullet weight as a start if that powder is listed for that weight. Use seating depth for the original bullet. If you go to the Hodgdon reloading site you will find three loads for a 125 grain bullet. Choose the closest to your bullet type and shape and start at the starting load. The Lee book is a good reference but the most up to date information can be found on the powder manufacturers' sites. Bullet makers often provide loading data but not necessarily.
+1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Thanks. . I came up with this recipe but I'd like to run it by and see if anyone sees any glaring concern.

Primer Federal small pistol. . Powder CFE pistol at starting load of 5.5 grains. Overall cartridge length 1.437. . Bullet cast 124 grain powder coated.

Again this is for a 38 Special load. . This time I'm using new brass Starline. . I chose the CFE powder over the other powders I have that would work because it seemed to be the one that would most fill the space and the cartridge and not be compressed or under-filled. In the past I have always taken the position that it is best to fill the cartridges much as possible without being compressed.

All comments appreciated
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

You are in the middle range for the 125 grain LRNFP so should be okay to snap those primers. One way to deal with a different bullet profile than the one used in the published load with regards to seating depth is to determine the difference in length of the two bullets and add or subtract this from the published seating depth depending on which is the longer bullet. It isn't always a perfect solution as the profile of some bullets means adjustments to fit a magazine, chamber or cylinder. Don't forget to size that new brass. The last Starline brass I bought was 45 Colt and a jacketed bullet would just fall into the case.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Macd wrote:You are in the middle range for the 125 grain LRNFP so should be okay to snap those primers. One way to deal with a different bullet profile than the one used in the published load with regards to seating depth is to determine the difference in length of the two bullets and add or subtract this from the published seating depth depending on which is the longer bullet. It isn't always a perfect solution as the profile of some bullets means adjustments to fit a magazine, chamber or cylinder. Don't forget to size that new brass. The last Starline brass I bought was 45 Colt and a jacketed bullet would just fall into the case.

All brass is already resized and Primed. Thanks. For the info

Return to “Handgun Reloading”