What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by GasGuzzler »

Well I finally got around to loading for my 1911. My .45 ACP dies were new so I had to start from scratch on the set up. Used the turret and UNIQUE! I must say it metered just fine in the Pro Auto Disc and with the large caliber .45 cases.....much better than my Uni-Flow and .38 cases. So now we'll see if I can load something with Unique worth a darn. Hasn't happened yet.

230 gr FMJRN S&B LP primers 6.0 gr Unique using Lee Disc cavity .76.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

GG, You used Unique?......

Is the world ending in the next couple of days?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm really trying.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I've used a bit of Unique fir the .45 acp, but the last couple of years it's been more AA#5 and AA#7. I've only been reloading for about 7 years so I consider myself a rookie, but my late, great mentor the started loading when he was 14-15 years old told me from the beginning that I could do fine for all my handguns (both bottom feeders and wheel guns) with nothing but a good stash of Unique and A-2400. Yep, he had 40-50 different varieties of powders and knew how to use them, but still stuck to the two old standby powders to keep a good supply of "just in case". He died in June of 2013 and left me pretty much on my own, but ever once in a while some little something he said seems to come to mind and really make sense. It was about that same time that both Unique and A2400 became as scarce as fairy dust around here, and I ended up buying/using the AA powders (9, 7 and 5) for the handgun loads (including the Rossi lever guns). Now that the last "late great unpleasantness" seems to be over, at least temporarily, I've got my mind back on Unique and A2400 (actually made up a few test loads of 18.3 - 18.5 gr of A2400 and the 265gr GC LeadHeads for the R92 .44 mag today). Had planned to build a few 240 gr swc's with 10 gr Unique, but ran out of "quiet time" (wife came home).

Sure is fun though.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've always been able to find Unique just didn't want to. Already had an open container but took a sealed one in trade so I'm looking for a use. I built some .30WFC loads a few weeks ago with 10.0 and 11.0 grains Unique.

In addition to the .45 ACP I assembled yesterday I built five rounds of .38 Special with some homeless 125 grain JHP, %@*&$ nickel pre-primed brass I got in trade through the mail, and 6.0 grains Unique.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use Unique with my 45 Auto, dropping it with an Auto Disk Pro and .82cc cavity.

Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Right before Thanksgiving I loaded up 500 38 spl for my mother-in-law. 400 lite loads, (4.2 grains Titegroup w/125 plated HighBorn bullets) and 100 full loads, same setup but 4.6 grains of Titegroup. (As per Hodgdon's reloading page)
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Not today but in the quiet of Thursday , we didn't do the formalities until Saturday , I ran off a hundred 380s .
3.8 Unique (average in 2 different brass)
CCI small standard pistol primer
FC and Win Brass
90 gr RNFP , NOE 358-90 .

Then I started rounding up the Schofield stuff .
As luck would have it I found it all just in time for everyone to need something and to discover that the bench can of Unique is empty ........... I'll have to fill it up before the Schofield get run . 100 ea with 452-200 RNFP and 50 ea with 454424 both over 5.5 Unique .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:I use Unique with my 45 Auto, dropping it with an Auto Disk Pro and .82cc cavity.
I should be good at .76/6.0 at 1.27" then. My FMJ is longer (I bet, not at home).
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Because of the weather and forest fires in my area it's been several months since I've been shooting. I have a bunch of "to be tested" loads waiting to be tested so I've just been reloading some of my "just in case" ammo; My 45 ACP gets a 230 gr, FMJ over about 5.0 gr Bullseye. This load works quite well in all my 45 ACPs (my favorite bullet is a 200 gr LSWC but it won;t feed reliably in my Ruger P90). Oh well... ;)

Return to “Handgun Reloading”