What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:If Unique actually works in .45ACP then maybe I'll use mine up before the can gets to be as old as yours.
Hah, don't know how old this stuff is! In 1995 I inherited two unopened cans from a distant in-law that passed. It took me 20 years to use the first pound, but I never dedicated it to an inventory load of ammo. There was always something better.

I do not like how it meters through the Auto Disks for any Micro, "A," or "B" disk cavity loads, too inconsistent, but it seems to come into its own with the "C" disk. I've shot a bunch at .71cc and looking at .76cc for my inventory. It is dropping at 6.1-grains with little to no variation. Fairly good case fill as well, the .76cc is at 83% capacity, and accuracy has been outstanding with the first load. I'm expecting velocity to be a bit low compared to Universal, about 685 FPS with the Millenium Pro's 3.25" barrel. Most factory 230-grain ammo is 835 FPS, so they state, from a 5" barrel. Going to shoot the 100 I loaded today to see if I'm happy with it. If it all works out, it will take 1,100 rounds to empty that old can.

I will need to ponder what velocity is delivered today as this pistol like any I own is carried for self defense. I still have room, one more cavity bump to take it up to the 21.0K PSI limit.
Michael
rdover
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by rdover »

Lee Classic Turret (4 hole) is the way to go! Great for beginner to learn on, yet can be used for years for "advanced". I got curious a couple of days ago and decided to check my output on a LCT 4 hole, no mods. Set up is this: Lee 4 die set, Safety Primer, Auto Drum.
Set timer for 10 minutes and started. Got 27 rounds completed.
Thought I might be around 15, when I passed 20 and timer hadn't gone off, thought I might have not hit the Start button, but had just pulled the handle on #27 when it did. I was kind of surprised, and pleased.
I've thought about doing some mods, but haven't. I have a very small keychain led light that I have hung up with twist ties to check my powder, which I do EVERY cartridge. Will soon do the $1 dollar book light, just haven't gotten to the store yet.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Lee has a video of them doing 5 in one minute on the LCT.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

More 45 Auto on the Load-Master. With the arrival of my hostage reactive target and how much fun it is to reload with the Load-Master, I will need to revise my estimates of what I shoot each year. I bet I go back to about 5,000 rounds a year from my semi-autos even though I don't have a group to shoot with.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

A whoopin' 30 pcs of .38 spec wad cutters. Chamfered the case opening, opened the bell a slight bit more and almost eliminated the crimp. Did not get any slivers of lead. Hornaday 148gr HBWC, Bullseye 2.7 gr using new Hornaday scale and new RCBS Trickler-2. NOW I have to wait for a warm up to go out shoot the lead out of them
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hey Poppop, a little is better than none!

I found another box of my 45 Auto bullets so loaded another batch on the Load-Master. This work is as much fun as shooting them! That should be all the 45 Auto loading I need for the remainder of the year. Don't plan on casting any bullets until hunting season as I need to move on to rifle cartridges. Next up for this press is the 7.62x39 and I'm giddy with excitement. Didn't plan on doing any load development work on the LM, but I own this %@*&$ and she is dancing to please me, I don't see any problems with the short runs of incremental loads.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

De-primed and sized the 9mm and .45ACP I shot months ago to get them off the project area....did a few extra .45ACP that was gifted.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Sunday afternoon I knocked out 100 45 Auto Rim .

I found 10 of these floating around in the new to me brass .
IMG_20170407_112350199.jpg
It doesn't surprise that Winchester made 45 AR or even that it was available as loaded ammo . I've never seen it mentioned though and some digging turned up this as having been the cartridge that the WRA headstamp originated on in 1929 . It is to the best of my knowledge last used in 41' .
Yes me , more obscure brass and 1 by appearance loaded round . Remington is the only current maker and is the only advertised maker of AR brass . I guess a loaded round of factory WRA goes for about $2 .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, a bit oddity. I like finding old, usable brass. Annealed, 60 to 70 years doesn't seem to make much difference.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I used the Lee universal decap die to de-prime the factory 9mm cases I shot on Mothers Day so I could old school tumble them. They're all clean and riding in an open top coffee can in the bed of my truck to blow the dust out. It's the 3rd time I've done this free trick. Works well. Also cleaned one .45ACP I picked up same day I lost a couple months ago. Only missing 2 of 100 .45s and 3 of XXX 9mm now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”