What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
ryanr256
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Handgun Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by ryanr256 »

sonic306090 wrote:Is it inappropriate to ask about your load data recipes? I'm very interested to hear about your Powder and OAL details. If so, Sorry.
It came from the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center:

https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/hodgdo ... ue&type=53
hp38124gr.jpg
I just plugged in my data. I'm using a non-hollow base bullet but I used the data for the hollow base.

The min is 3.9 grains of HP-38 and the max is 4.4. I kinda split the difference. Overall length is 1.150". The SW1911 has a 5 inch barrel. I haven't tried this through the Kimber Micro 9 that has a 3 inch barrel, but I probably will in the next week or two.

This is my first reloading effort. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ryanr256

Post by ryanr256 »

horseman wrote:
ryanr256 wrote:
But, I do have 100 Hornady 147gr XTP bullets I'm going to have to do something with.

-Bob

If you have some AA7 powder load those xtp's over 6.5gr with an OAL 1.15. That's 2 tenths UNDER max and shoots very well. Start is at 6.0 so you have some room to work.

Only have a pound of HP-38 and 2 pounds of TiteGroup. And I have a very limited supply of primers, like maybe 390 now.

Trying to determine which of the powders to use with the XTPs.

I was going to load all 100 XTPs and then use the rest of the primers for the 124gr bullets. I'm just a casual plinker, no competitions for me (yet) so the 400 124gr rounds should last a while. I also have a stash of factory ammo I can dig into if the need be.

I just picked the wrong time to start reloading.

-Bob
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

ryanr256 wrote:
horseman wrote:
ryanr256 wrote:
But, I do have 100 Hornady 147gr XTP bullets I'm going to have to do something with.

-Bob

Only have a pound of HP-38 and 2 pounds of TiteGroup. And I have a very limited supply of primers, like maybe 390 now.

Trying to determine which of the powders to use with the XTPs.-Bob

Lee 2nd edition has loads using TightGroup with the 147gr XTP's. Start 3.2gr Max 3.6 with OAL 1.10...Verify.
ryanr256

Post by ryanr256 »

horseman wrote: Lee 2nd edition has loads using TightGroup with the 147gr XTP's. Start 3.2gr Max 3.6 with OAL 1.10...Verify.

The Gun Guides Pistol book I have lists that XTP data also. I will most likely go that way. I need to pick up a few more storage boxes.

I also need to get the Lee manual.

-Bob
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

Hi Ryan,

What's your setup? Lee press and Accessories are you loading with?

I have the Value Turret with Auto Prime & Auto Powder Drum. Works Great!
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
ryanr256

Post by ryanr256 »

sonic306090 wrote:Hi Ryan,

What's your setup? Lee press and Accessories are you loading with?

I have the Value Turret with Auto Prime & Auto Powder Drum. Works Great!

I have a Breech Lock Challenger single stage. My daughter bought the kit as a gift many years ago. It sat on a shelf, in the box, until recently. I set it up, purchased the dies and fortunately found enough bullets and primers to get me started. I also got the bushings so swapping the dies is a cinch.

The kit came with the Perfect Powder Measure, the Safety Powder Scale, and the older version of the Auto Prime. I bought the Gun Guides Perfect Powder Measure Adapter and have the Perfect Powder Measure attached to the die. Works well with my setup. I also picked up the Shooter's Box case gauge. I'm using an older Brown & Sharpe analog caliper to measure OAL.

Oh, I use a Frankford Arsenal Lite wet tumbler with Southern Shine media (stainless chips).

I think that's it as far as equipment. I do have the bench plate for the press.

9mm is the only caliber I am reloading at the moment. I do have a Makarov (9x18), but I don't shoot it that often. My rifle is a 5.45x39 and I don't see a need to reload that caliber.

-Bob
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Found a partial bottle of W231 in the back of my powder storage, just enough to fill the hopper on my Uniflow measure. I also "found" an almost full box of a thousand RMR 124gr. truncated cone plated bullets that I had stuck up in a cabinet. Decided to load some using the 231 and ended up at 4.3gr. (after working up a couple times) as that was right about where I wanted velocity to be. Average fps is right at 980 out of my Ruger SR9c with 3 1/2 inch barrel. Not a max load, but close. OAL at 1.10. Fired 10 of those for effect and all looks good. I don't have many SPP left but I do have a couple hundred primed 9mm cases so I'll use those. I've loaded two boxes so far, may do some more a bit later, not sure how many, but I guess I can go until I run out of the 231 (a hopper full at 4.3gr. will be quite a few for sure. I'm still "cleaning out" my reloading area and will sell all I'm not using or have doubles in (dies) along with a couple more presses and some things I just don't use/need anymore. A bit interesting finding things I've bought over the years to make "better" ammo with and wondering what I was thinking at the time... :D
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

You & me both Pard, I'm still digging into stuff ??? About the only thing I wish I had back was a couple
of good mics, 0 - 1" & 1" - 2", good depth Mic, good TGauge set or Inside mic set back & my neck turning,
Concentricity gauge stuff. All stuff apparently needed more by a young family member than me ???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:You & me both Pard, I'm still digging into stuff ??? About the only thing I wish I had back was a couple
of good mics, 0 - 1" & 1" - 2", good depth Mic, good TGauge set or Inside mic set back & my neck turning,
Concentricity gauge stuff. All stuff apparently needed more by a young family member than me ???

If you feel you have the "need" to turn case necks maybe I'll send you my K&N neck turning tool (that's one of the things I have sitting in the "to go" pile) I guarantee I'll not be turning any necks (of any kind) :lol: ....anymore....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

If Larry passes I might be interested .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun Reloading”