What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Ranch Dog »

What's even worse is that I had only made three shots with this cartridge load a week before and that was at 25 yards. I've moved all my incremental and evaluation load work back to 25-yards a couple of years ago. I've learned if the bullets don't touch at this distance, there is no sense in pursuing the load. The 25-yard berm has saved me a lot of components and a lot of walking. I do enough of the latter with my ranch work. Here is what it shot with the point of Aim (POA) being the red dot.

This shooting was last Sunday, a week back from today, and I thought I would get to more shooting all week. Unfortunately, the days have gotten real short. By one in the afternoon, it has been 102º and has stayed above 100 until sunset. I've had to do my chores before one o'clock instead of shooting.

So, when that hog appeared Friday night, I had not adjusted the scope for POA to equal the POI (impact), but I was very confident in the load repeating itself. I looked at this target before I went out and in that, the hog was going to be about 75-yards, I held my point of aim 5¼" at the 3:30 position of his heart. The bullet plunked right through his heart.

Yeah, this is going to be a great rifle/load combination!

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Last night, I loaded up 22 rounds of the above, the remainder of my lot of cases for the statistical work.

This will give me about 50 fire formed cases that I can anneal and start with. The velocity with both cast & jacketed bullets has not met the QuickLoad predictions for my component lot specifics and I figure it is from the effort that the little bit of fire forming is requiring. The good thing is that the sizing die is not going to affect the radius of the shoulder on the next resizing cycle so the velocity results will be interesting to observe.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Well, it's a rifle to me even though it's straight walled revolver cartridge .... I loaded up one box of .44 mag for next week's trip to West Texas. Loaded my now favorite of LeadHead 265gr GC RNFP (ave. 270 gr with GC and lube) over 17.9 gr of AA#9 in new Starline brass with Win LPP. These only average 1590 to 1600 fps, but it's the most accurate/consistent powder load weight I've tried. Went out Tuesday afternoon with my newest "test set" of contact lenses (been wearing contacts since 1972) to give them a try with the crosshairs on the Weaver Scout Scope and the R92. They shot a 2.5 inch group about 1.5 inch high of POA at 50 yards and a 3.5-4 inch group about 1.5 inch low of POA at 100 yards. I think they'll do nicely on the hogs from the deer stand. I still can't look up overhead for more than a couple of seconds without getting fall down dizzy, so while my hunting buddies are dove hunting, I hope to use some of today's reloads to eliminate some of the nasty destructive pigs from the ranch.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

+guns Sounds like you're all set. Good luck hunting.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

i loaded up some 270 win with a 140gr hornady sst and imr4350.

left goes approx .788" or .8" at 100 yards(5 shots)

the one on the left i did 5 times(5 shots - 5 different groups) at 100 yards. it goes approx averages .478" or .5" at 100 yards(5 shots).

i have the 270 all set up, now i have to do my 500 linebaugh with 450gr lfn gc and hs-6.
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dang Todd, that 270 is looking good! The 500 should be fun! Ouch!
Michael
todddoyka

Post by todddoyka »

Ranch Dog wrote:Dang Todd, that 270 is looking good! The 500 should be fun! Ouch!
i was shooting hs-6 and it kicks a little than my 270(ruger #1). i used 2400 and it kicks about the same/little harder than the 270. i haven't taken the velocity up since i've used 2400, tho it can use win296/h110.

my 270(old picture)

i like the 500 linebaugh(like a 50-70 gov and blackpowder loads) and hs-6. it will be my close up(deer/black bear) round. us stroke-abled guys(and girls) hope to "knock them down". :lol:
​Μολών λαβέ !

todd
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wet tumbled and annealed a little less than 50 44 Mag cases for my Winchester M94 Timber Scout.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Thankfully the 2 bolt guns seem willing to share brass with the AR in 223 .
I loaded a few of each to explore an NOE 228-80 SP down on the low end an at full speed . No chance of getting them in the AR . A fellow sent me a few to try before I make a purchase .
I only seem to be able to get the 225-55s down to 22LR speeds ......

I guess I need to find a pistol measure to go with the 2 uniflows .

I loaded a few 30-30s with a big step work up for an old Cramer #45 and the 310-165 /30 XCB .
Full power loads .

I have a pile of 45-70 to go shoot and see if I've found THE load .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”